• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

are 1971 canopy roof moldings "universal"

polywideblock

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:47 AM
Reaction score
hi, my 71 roadrunner originally came with the V4W canopy vinyl roof , it was removed in a previous resto (before I bought it ). during this go round I'm leaving it off as well, but would like to collect the parts to put it back on "down the road" . so the question is will 1971 dodge charger canopy trim fit the road runner or do I have to look for road runner specific roof trim ? I have the slightly larger drip rail molding to ( just going to put duct tape on rail under it to stop rattle) already on the car but no roof molding or mounting studs ? . just want to know exactly what I can/ can not uses .
DSC_0046[1].jpg

thanks

Last edited:
The trim is in a differant position on the charger so Mldg is probably differant too

Also its a 71 only part
That is textured and not smooth..

I have the piece of Canopy Moulding the goes across the roof in the back for my 73 charger . I bought it off Ebay years ago and it
is supposed to be for a 71 Satellite . Seems like it is going to fit fine . The Textured ones I think were on the Halo Roofs .

is there a difference between a "canopy " and a "halo" roof ?

I thought they were the same thing , had people tell me "you're tag V4W calls out a canopy/halo roof " when talking to different people

Last edited:
71/72 Plymouths must match with 73/74 Chargers, since these got same quarter glass opening shape ( sail interior panel is the same in fact ) so both should be with curve pointing out to front. I don't have the fact they are the same BUT my guess is they must match at least the shape, dunno if profile or texture

71/72 Chargers won't work because the quarter glass opening points out to rear, so curve points out to rear.

Halo roof are the full vinyl top versions on 73/74 Chargers and Plymouths, which gets body painted section between top and drip rails. These got an extra molding to finish the vinyl top on sides instead share the drip rail molding to this

Last edited:
71 Plymouth canopy
ebay283193.jpg

Charger 71 Canopy
ebay789775.jpg

74 Charger Canopy
74Rallye18-20-11.jpg

Halo tops
CC-SanMateo-066-800.jpg

View attachment 305010

- - - Updated - - -

as far I know AS MENTIONED, the only textured pieces were in SOME 71s, maybe performance models... this includes Rear glass molding on Full vinyl roofs. I meant some because I think have seen 71 Satellite Sebrings with regular polished and not textured pieces like 71 Chargers did. Then since 72s everyone got shine stainless steel ( aluminium in 74s front and rear glass ) pieces in all the trim, not anymore textured BUT drip rail molds on Chargers 73/74 SEs

- - - Updated - - -

here is a 72 Plymouth which seems to get exactly same piece than 73/74 Canopy Top Chargers ? dunno

lake19.jpg

so for my white roof , do I need to textured one or is there a chrome one that would match up to the drip rail molding ?

it seems 71s did IN FACT get textured then? per flypaper statement and the pic I found of the red sat sebring... more to research then.

but I think polished will look pretty nice, and being same shape, could be a temporal installation untill find a textured one ?

- - - Updated - - -

you can get it textured somehow, spraying over a thick mixture of 3M undercoating, then painting ?

so any suggestions as to where to get /find this piece of trim ? also how is it mounted? do I have to fit studs for the trim clips ? if so where do I get them as well as the trim clips ? as I'm in Australia , a link would be helpful thanks

they came with studs that are welded on that hold the clips
they are not easy to find as they were not a common option to begin with
and they are both one year only parts = scarce
you will need a stud welder gun (a good one is not cheap) to install the studs to the roof.

72 chrome versions seem to come up for sale alot more often then 71 textured version.
your best bet to find is ebay
they will pop up there every so often.
saw a nice 72 chrome go for 200 last year i should of bought
i've been looking for a 71
but i shouldn't of been so picky as most don't know what is really correct..

the stud welder gun (i have a snap on one $$) will come with
a kit consisting of different size studs and pins and accessories
i'm sure the accessories/consumables are sold separately somewhere
i would search stud welder gun parts and go from there.
using studs to hold trim is not specific to mopar
other car makers did it also.
it should be found in with auto body tools.
the studs are the same type of studs that are holding your
rear window trim in that go around the channel.

the stud welder gun is also used with a slide hammer to pull dents
that you can't get behind,it can be a very useful tool if you do alot of auto body.

the clips i don't know where to get
again we are talking about some very scarce stuff
you would hope to get them with the trim you find

they are white plastic rectangular with a hole in the middle that fits over the stud
don't hold me to this but 99% what i suspect is
i think they are the same exact thing as 71 full vinyl roof clips
that they would use it on the lower vinyl roof trim
that came on full vinyl roof cars
there are a couple of studs across the lower roof line that
holds that lower trim in place on those cars.
that might be another path to finding them
so i would ask some vendors for that and see what you turn up.

maybe rt specialties or roseville,mega parts might possibly have them

Last edited:
I had a 73 Charger SE with a Hardtop Roofline with the Textured Mouldings . It was a Halo Top .
And I had to put the studs back on my Charger for the Trim but I didn't have a Stud Gun . I bought screw in
replacement Studs at my Body Supply store . I bought a small box of them .

71 X canopy

Attachments

• P1010513.jpg
    P1010513.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 244
I have had 71 and 72 sebring plus, 100% original with canopy tops. Both were chrome trim.

Auto Transport Service
Back