• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are the 4 door roof heights higher?

440 PHIXX

The Island of Misfit Mopars
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:39 PM
Reaction score
I never measured, but assumed that the 2 door looks sleeker because of the slope to meet the backlight. The side quarter window helps as well. I saw this vid and maybe he’s talking about the ‘71 up cars. They don’t share much if any sheet metal between the 2 and 4 door.

I just believe the 2 door cars look "sleeker" is because of an optical illusion. It makes no sense to make roof heights higher, or lower, especially production wise. I have a four door sedan (1967 plymouth belvedere) that had the floor shift provision stamped into the floor, as well as the provision for a dual exhaust, which tells me that the car had the possibility of being a two door hardtop, but was destined to be a sedan, of course windshields won't swap between hardtops, and sedans. I am talking about 66, 67 b bodies.

My convertible windshield uses the same as 4 door and wagons. Not the coupe windshield.

I measured, the windshield and roof are higher on the 4 door and wagon than the 2 door H/T. It’s a couple of inches. This is on 68’s. I have all three. Obviously all ‘68-‘70 are similar.

I just believe the 2 door cars look "sleeker" is because of an optical illusion. It makes no sense to make roof heights higher, or lower, especially production wise. I have a four door sedan (1967 plymouth belvedere) that had the floor shift provision stamped into the floor, as well as the provision for a dual exhaust, which tells me that the car had the possibility of being a two door hardtop, but was destined to be a sedan, of course windshields won't swap between hardtops, and sedans. I am talking about 66, 67 b bodies.
The sedan windshield actually has a different rake angle and just figured the roof height was a bit taller and have heard that over the years. I'm into the 66-67's too. Had a 67 rag top and the door from it was the same length but the wing window frame was noticeably different than the sedan A pillar rake.
My convertible windshield uses the same as 4 door and wagons. Not the coupe windshield.
Coupe? as in the 68-70 2dr coupes vs the HT's? What year is your vert?

The sedan windshield actually has a different rake angle and just figured the roof height was a bit taller and have heard that over the years. I'm into the 66-67's too. Had a 67 rag top and the door from it was the same length but the wing window frame was noticeably different than the sedan A pillar rake.

Coupe? as in the 68-70 2dr coupes vs the HT's? What year is your vert?
I’m pretty sure the ‘68-‘70 coupe with the tip out quarter windows is the same dimensions as the hardtop. The door glass is different, and the “post” is just welded into the hardtop.

Also the opening from the door ledge to the roof is higher on the 4 door and wagon. I measured it a couple of weeks ago but forget how much. At least 2”. I’ll measure over the weekend and post the #’s.

Last edited:
No need to speak ill of the dead.... :(
No disrespect for his life. But I’m not going to pretend that looked right. If the top was chopped about 3”, it might have looked like an E body.

Back in the day, they WERE higher. Because you were crouching while driving the car, 'cause you didn't want to be seen driving a 4-door car !

Just because the floor pan is the same, you can't assume any other part is the same.

There is definitely more head room in my 67 wagon, than my 66 WH23.

Just because the floor pan is the same, you can't assume any other part is the same.

There is definitely more head room in my 67 wagon, than my 66 WH23.
I measured. The windshield is about 3” higher in height on the 4 door and wagon compared to the 2 door H/T. The roof is higher by about 3” as well, and from the door sill to the top of the opening is bigger. It makes sense. I always wondered why my 4 door doesn’t look quite as sleek from the front. What I didn’t know, and just found out is the convertible uses the same high windshield as the 4 door and wagon. The windshield looked too upright to me on the convertible, and now I know why.

Auto Transport Service
Back