• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

At camp night before hunting season!

Xp29h

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:37 PM
Reaction score
So it’s the night before hunting season opens. At camp and it’s 70 frikin degrees! But awful nice!!
IMG_6171.jpeg

Been years since I’ve gone hunting. This year I’m getting back out there with a friend.

over the years opening eve of deer season has many looks . i remember one year it was pouring rain but about mid 20’s in temp, we awoke to an ice storm , power lines sagging and tree limbs crashing! we went into the wood’s anyway, didn’t see a single critter as we were the only dummies in there . mid morning we decided to retreat and had a hard time getting out of the woods as it was littered with trees and branches. every year it is different, our opener is in 3 weeks we will see this years surprise….

over the years opening eve of deer season has many looks . i remember one year it was pouring rain but about mid 20’s in temp, we awoke to an ice storm , power lines sagging and tree limbs crashing! we went into the wood’s anyway, didn’t see a single critter as we were the only dummies in there . mid morning we decided to retreat and had a hard time getting out of the woods as it was littered with trees and branches. every year it is different, our opener is in 3 weeks we will see this years surprise….
You just never know what you’re gonna get for weather! Regardless, love being out in the woods!
72018399820__1299CB4D-ECB5-4D43-B172-5281F2C11D39.jpeg

From the shack this morning!

Good luck, and don't worry....the cold is on its way !

Yep, he'll be able to have his own "FML! The snows have arrived" thread in no time. I'm on the 45th parallel west coast and it's 19 degrees right now at 6:30am and the high today is 35.

How'd it go?
My daughter and I went after pheasant today and I missed! I was real bummed but I love having her positive attitude, she told me good try and we'll get him next time.
Looks like a great stand, my ground blind blew away last year so I need a new one. My brother in-law said he'd take it down, but he didn't get to it in time. Excited to try my 450 Bushmaster build in a few weeks.

"The hunt" is awesome, and we love stocking the freezers every year with the various meats....but as I get older I've come to love the campout and everything else just as much, if not more.
What I've learned from the old-timers...we can only do this stuff for so long until father time puts the hurt on the knees, back, eyesight etc...in other words don't forget to enjoy the ride!

First day for me was uneventful! Saw 2 grouse, a few turkeys and plenty of confused mosquitoes that had no clue what they were doing out in October! Do deer, until after dark of course.

Still a great day to be out in the woods.

Good luck to all that hunt! Be safe and have fun!

I love deer hunting. Just sitting in the stand watching the wildlife. I have shot so many deer that I am real picky when I hunt. I have gone back to using a recurve or my long bow with cedar arrows that I build.
Be safe out there.

Have these outside my office window, almost daily
one of the better bachelor groups/Bucks rooming around here
60*-ish (63*) sunny colder at night like higher 30*'s (37-39*f)
mainly eating acorns & oak leafs
Deer 7 Big Bucks shedding Velvet 001.JPG

Ignore the Elk to the left that's the top of my weather vein
I just noticed that in the photo
Deer 7 Big Bucks shedding Velvet 003.JPG

Deer 7 Big Bucks shedding Velvet 007.JPG

not the best photos, sun was directly on them 7 bucks/Mule Deer from a couple 3 pt-ers + 4 y/o
to a couple 5pt-ers 6-7 y/o & a big forked, like 2 y/o & 1 big spike 1 y/o, regular visitors here
pisses off some of my die-hard deer hunting buddies, when I show them
I know them well, I've seen them since they were fawns

Deer 7 Big Bucks shedding Velvet 012.JPG

Last edited:
View attachment 1547881

View attachment 1547887

View attachment 1547882
not the best photos, sun was directly on them 7 bucks/Mule Deer from a couple 3 pt-ers + 4 y/o
to a couple 5pt-ers 6-7 y/o & a big forked, like 2 y/o & 1 big spike 1 y/o, regular visitors here

View attachment 1547883
that’s a nice buck !

View attachment 1547881

View attachment 1547887

View attachment 1547882

View attachment 1547883
Awesome few

Auto Transport Service
Back