• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Atlas Metal Lathe

My dad is a life long machinist, his old coworker went on to be a machine supplier so I get pretty good inside info. He got me this LeBlond, a few Monarchs for my dad and a few for my employer. The old school machines can be had cheap and are far better machines than what you can buy nowadays... Monarchs are the cream of the crop when it comes to lathes.

Yup, still a fair amount of industry in Ohio... Here in Ca it's mostly long gone... Then theres things like the local prison that got shut down... They have a full machine shop in hopes of training prisoners to have a trade when released.. Well a buddy works for a construction company thats being paid to do some construction on the closed prison since the budget was approved before they closed the prison.... Figure that one out... Anyway point being he was given a tour of the various shops that are all shuttered & theres lots of nice equipment but none of it can be sold or saved it all is required to be scrapped....

FWIW they list this LeBlond as weighing 9000 lbs

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 8.13.30 PM.png

Okay. what big lathes can do.... This is with conventional hand ground HSS tooling, no carbide...

It's long so if ya don't want to watch him grinding his tool and just want to see big cuts go to 40 minutes in...

Auto Transport Service
Back