• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Attn: woodworkers- need router bit to make simple baseboard please

I just ordered the shutter bit.

Have not heard back from the other "furniture bit" MFG.

Proprietor cutters will be hard to find and like said would require a commercial shaper to use. If the pattern is out of date, one could be made but would be cost prohibitive for a small project. Then there would be the mater of buying the proper tool to use it. Even my small shaper uses a cutter with a hole in it mounted to a shaft and not a bit like what one would put into a router.

Still no answer for why I can buy bits for much more complex styles of baseboard.

.....but not the simplest, most common style.

This is not about a commercial machine issue. This is about bit availability.

Sorry, just venting at this point.

Still no answer for why I can buy bits for much more complex styles of baseboard.

The baseboard you are looking to recreate is one of the most common baseboards produced and the cheapest to purchase so there is probably not much demand for that profile of bit. I understand you want to make yours out of cedar while all the mass produced ones would be fir most likely.

I got a reply from MLCS but the specs are in metric.

Got some calcs to do.

Like said before proprietary mill shapes cannot legally be duplicated using cutters whom patterns are protected. In otherwards no one can legally sell routers or cutter unless released by the mill that owns the patten to the pattern. Thos forcing suppliers to buy from millworks of that pattern.
This doesn't keep you from buying various router to reproduce a shape. But it can be a pain in the butt and don't get caught try to resell any of it.

Thanks. I will check them out.

Auto Transport Service
Back