• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auto Electrical Guru Needed for Confab

VFilms

Local time
12:24 AM
Reaction score
I know this is a B Body forum but I'm looking for general electrical help. I just bought a '93 Olds Cutlass Conv for my son and it has multiple electrical issues. I'm looking for an electrical guru to share ideas with. I am a retired line mechanic and have all the service manuals and diagrams which I can share. I'd like to be able to discuss troubleshooting and possible causes on an ongoing professional level. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Problems include electrical shorts in multiple systems, mostly courtesy, door lock and power mirror systems. No engine or ECM issues at this time.

Thanks
Mick

You might have better luck on an Olds forum (http://oldsmobileforums.com/forums/index.php) or ask very specific questions. If memory serves me correctly, Oldsmobiles during that period were plagued with electrical problems, particularly the digital dash. My uncle used to have one.

Glen

Glen
Thanks. I begin to the Classic Olds forum, but oddly electrical diagnostics is almost a lost art. Multiple systems have dead shorts so I'm trying to locate a common thread.
Thanks again for the reply.

Hi Mick,
Are these actually short circuits, i.e. fuses blowing, melting wiring, etc., or things just aren't functioning?
The things I would check first would be corrosion of wiring and/or connection points for bonding grounds & main power wiring, common connections to relay boards, fuse blocks, etc. Follow a schematic and visually check all of the connection points. Any sign of green, corroding, crusty paint around a ground terminal, etc., will play a part in adding resistance to circuits and cause voltage levels to drop. Most of the items you mentioned are likely connected to relays which may not operate if the voltage drops to low. Pull the relays and look at the blades for any corrosion.

Glen

2X on what Glen said.
Rule #1 - Start with grounds. Try to identify every ground point you can and do whatever is necessary to make absolutely sure it has a good connection.

2X on what Glen said.
Rule #1 - Start with grounds. Try to identify every ground point you can and do whatever is necessary to make absolutely sure it has a good connection.

Thanks to both of you. I was able to trace a dead short in both the courtesy and stop light circuits. They share a common wire, though I don't have a clue why. The dead short appears up under the center of the dash which may mean dropping the dash. I did just learn from the guy who sold me the car his son 'tried' to install an aftermarket radio. So that's the first place I'm looking.
Regarding your ideas of looking for corrosion, I have been told these cars are notorious for that. Loose connectors as well.
Finally, not to criticize Olds owners - I have 2 - and they're great people, but I received more support from you Mopar people than on the Olds site. Thank you for the help.

Auto Transport Service
Back