• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVS carb

horace

Local time
2:28 PM
Reaction score
Took my 383 Super Bee out for a spin, just love the 15-90 acceration clips, but after 41 years of never touching my Carter AVS there is ever so slight hestitation & a tiny pop when I punch it @15 mph but nothing @ higher speeds. Do you think a can of magic elixur will cure it or will I have to succumb to carb adjustment or ? Thanks

Last edited:
Everything up to normal temp I assume? The first thing I'd check is the accelerator pump output.

The plunger on OE carbs is made out of leather and they tend to degrade after time. Replacements are ethier in rebuild kits or maybe a Edelbrock can be subbed in. Maybe, IDK 4 sure.

Yup. If they sit long enough for the carb to go dry, then the leather shrinks up and (most of the time) doesn't return to it's original shape. SOMEtimes they can be soaked in brake fluid and that will help. The better option is to replace it.

Be aware that there are TWO different sizes of pumps

Auto Transport Service
Back