• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Axle swap questions

451Coronet

Local time
7:30 AM
Reaction score
Yup I just got all sorts of questions don't I lol

So here's my query....I'm been looking to upgrade the axle in my Coronet. Being a small block car originally, it has a 8-1/4 rear that I upgraded with 3.91s and a Sure grip unit, but pretty sure it's just a matter of time before that goes off haha Anyway, I was browsing around for an 8-3/4 to swap in and frankly it's just too expensive, what some folks are asking for just housings are ridiculous. My Pop used to have a '67 440 4speed Charger that had an 8-3/4 rear (some one obviously yoinked the Dana), I should snuck out there one night and yoinked that rear haha
Anywho, I recently read a brief article about doing a 9-1/4 swap, say from a Dakota or Ram and I've already located a couple rears, whole assemblies mind you, for less than what I paid for the 3.91 gear set in my 8-1/4 now.......So has anyone tried this yet? I understand axles will likely have to be changed, especially if it's one of those HD 8 lug jobs, but what I'm more concerned about is dimensions (is there a certain year or model I should look out for) and brakes? You guys have been great so far, and as always any input/info is mucho appreciado :)

8 lug rears were usually Dana 60's unless it's a later diesel then it's a Dana 70. The 9 1/4 for a Durango/Dakota will have 6 lug axles. What do you have for power? The 8 1/4 is actually a pretty tough rear end. Not as strong as the 8 3/4 but still. The 'A' body 8 3/4's are the ones that are expensive. I advertised a bare 8 3/4 'B' body housing for 75 bucks and it didn't sell. I even have axles for another 50 and still no takers. Where are you looking for one at?

x2 as long as there's not a SG chunk or steeper than 2.94 gearset, B body 8 3/4s go for $100-$200. A guy I know just took a truckload of them to scrap. Seriously. we pulled one bare housing, and he charged us $20, and I pulled an adjust able axle shaft, and he just gave it to me.

SG chunks with good gears on the other hand can go anywhere from $200 to over $650.

83/4 rear

I know what your saying I have a complet drum to drum 8 3/4 out of a 69 coronet I cant get a $100 for it.I dont have the heart to junk it:evil5:

8 lug rears were usually Dana 60's unless it's a later diesel then it's a Dana 70. The 9 1/4 for a Durango/Dakota will have 6 lug axles. What do you have for power? The 8 1/4 is actually a pretty tough rear end. Not as strong as the 8 3/4 but still. The 'A' body 8 3/4's are the ones that are expensive. I advertised a bare 8 3/4 'B' body housing for 75 bucks and it didn't sell. I even have axles for another 50 and still no takers. Where are you looking for one at?

Right now, engine isn't in yet. I'm building a 451, just waiting to get the crank back from the machine shop. Meanwhile I'm also collecting parts and saving to build the 440 I pulled out and I'd like to be one step ahead and already have a stout enough drivetrain for that 440 (Read: 500 stroker) when I'm done with it :)
And I browse Craigslist sometimes, but mostly find this stuff on ebay. Local yards have started scrapping their older stuff or all the Mopes have been picked clean. Was at the Nats last year and couldn't find a housing for less than $200. Chunks were just as bad and likely needed to be rebuilt anyway.

I know what your saying I have a complet drum to drum 8 3/4 out of a 69 coronet I cant get a $100 for it.I dont have the heart to junk it:evil5:
I must be looking in the wrong place........I'd give ya $100 for that!! Do ya still have it??

Auto Transport Service
Back