• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B body 4 speed reverse light wire

dodge68charger

Local time
5:19 AM
Reaction score
Just wondering where the black wire connects to from the reverse light under the dash on my 68 b body charger. Thanks

The black wire on this one image.jpg

There is a black wire from the reverse light switch on the trans that goes to the bulkhead connector. It will be the bottom connector, and the bottom right wire on that connector (z). Inside, the black wire from the light will go to that bulkhead connector.

This first pic shows the engine compartment side:

rev-light-1.jpg

This next pic shows the accessory light for a dart, but it would basically be the same:

rev-light-2.jpg

Just follow the wires, eazy peazy, lemon squeezy...

Merry Christmas.

simple as pie then, follow the 2nd detail to bulk head connector, is your wiring all new? or original? you may already have it hanging there or cut back short.

I had the same problem with my 69 road runner. Some had disconnected the wire at the bulk head connector. I believe it came from the light to Z on the bulk head and then out from C to switch on the transmission. I have my color diagram at home that shows it very clear. Please check my post and you may find the answer there.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is my thread. http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?58462-Under-dash-reverse-light-for-4-speed

Is their a diagram for a 68 charger. I cant find one in my service manual. Also what do i do with the purple n white wires that are on the bulkhead connector. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure how it goes to the Z terminal. Mine already has a wire in that terminal

I ll double check when i go to the shop. If it goes in the Z terminal does it go in on the firewall side? I post some pics

On my 70 Charger the black wire from the reverse light goes to cavity Z on the passenger compartment side of the bulkhead connector. In the engine compartment the black wire coming from the pigtail on the wiper harness plugs into cavity Z completing the circuit. All of this is in the FSM wiring diagrams but can be a bit difficult to sort out in the pictures. Took me a while to figure out all of the back up lights and the reverse light were tied into the wiper harness, plus I was missing a few pieces. When I got all of the missing stuff it made more sense.

The pics and info we are posting are informational only, they don't necessarily pertain to your car exactly (mine were for a 69). Please re-look at Bigmanjbmopar's post where he gives you the links for a 1968 Charger. If you look at the Z position, you will see the wire is a darkgreen with trace wire in it like yours. The wires for your year car backup circuit is C & D engine compartment, and C (Violet) & D (white) inside.

The white wire goes to the radio plug for power for the circuit, and the violet wire goes to a connector (socket 4) for the rear light wiring harness, and also to a "console connector" (socket 2). Look for a connection point along the circuit for the violet wire. This is the switched source for all of the back-up lights.

The best I can find is a diagram for a 68 Plymouth showing the bulkhead C & D in the lower left corner. It calls out the back-up light circuit.

back-up-1.jpg

Good luck, and Merry Christmas.
Dave

Does the black wire from the reverse light replace the white wire on the passenger compartment side of the bulkhead connector in terminal 'D'..The violet wires are common to the 'C' terminal on the passenger compartment and engine compartment side connectors but not sure what i do with the white wire cus the black wire from the switch has to go somewhere. I heard the 'Z' terminal but that already has a wire in it

- - - Updated - - -

Its the last wire i gotta put in n my dash assembley can go in

Auto Transport Service
Back