• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

b body bell housing blues

Hazzard Lugnut

Local time
8:11 AM
Reaction score
I bought a 4 speed trans/bell housing from a big block 69 Road Runner , I then bought a 11 inch clutch kit . My son and I went to bolt the bell housing to my 440 and that's when I realized that the pressure plate is hitting the bell housing. Do they make different pressure plates for the 11 inch clutch or do I need to get a different clutch kit?

Trying to word this without sounding like a dick. You are sure you have the 11" and not the 10.5" right?

Do you have the number from the bell housing?

Only bell I ever had work on a 11" was a Hemi or Blow proof. Most factory bells I have seen are 10.5"

I bought a 4 speed trans/bell housing from a big block 69 Road Runner , I then bought a 11 inch clutch kit . My son and I went to bolt the bell housing to my 440 and that's when I realized that the pressure plate is hitting the bell housing. Do they make different pressure plates for the 11 inch clutch or do I need to get a different clutch kit?
My first thought is- you have a 10 1/2" bell house. Don't know about 383, but 440 had 10 1/2" and 11". Your casting number will tell which one you have..............................MO

Here's a picture of my 1969 bell that used an 11" flywheel. Does this match your number?

Bell 1.jpg

Here's a picture of my 1969 bell that used an 11" flywheel. Does this match your number?

View attachment 163413
Photon440 thank you for the picture . I checked the numbers on my bell housing and it turns out that I have a 10.5 bell so I guess Ill just go and get a different clutch kit

- - - Updated - - -

I did some checking and what I thought was a 11 bell turned out to be a 10.5 so Ill just trade my clutch kit in for a 10.5

- - - Updated - - -

Trying to word this without sounding like a dick. You are sure you have the 11" and not the 10.5" right?

Do you have the number from the bell housing?
plumcrazy no you didn't sound like a dick , I did some checking and it turned out that I have a 10.5 bell

Glad you got it worked out. And glad I didn't come across badly. Being a maintainer in the AF, I have to work on my communication skills sometimes. Haha.

Trust us your not the first one to run into this !
But it's all good to go with good people and great advise !!

It's just too bad that Chrysler engineers back then weren't able to figure out how to make one bellhousing fit both sizes of flywheel. It would have saved the expense of making two different items and causing problems like this down the road.

Glad you got it worked out. And glad I didn't come across badly. Being a maintainer in the AF, I have to work on my communication skills sometimes. Haha.
PlumcrazyRR I want to say Thank You for all you have done in the AF and I think your communication skills are ok by me :headbang:

Your better off get a 130 tooth flywheel you can put 10.5 clutch 10.95 plate or even a dual disc if, your really hauling the mail.

Can you use a 10 1/2" flywheel, pressureplate and clutch if you have an 11"bellhousing?

Thank you, sorry to but in like that. Just thought since you were talking bellhousings i would ask.

Auto Transport Service
Back