• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B Body Cruise Control

As has been mentioned 69 & earlier uses similar but different parts, instead of an electrical signal to disable the cruise upon brake application they use a vacuum dump valve attached to the brakes pedal... Starting in 70 it's an electric signal..

So early servo has two vacuum hose connections, late has one..
Early brake switch has a vacuum connection, late switch has the normal two terminals plus two more with a couple short wires to a connector.
Switches early three wire vs late four wire..
nailed it,

Mounting Brackets are body style specific , column switches are different between C versus B bodies( mounted angle is different )
Wiring is different between body styles ( I think its length variations )
I have an nos under dash wiring harness for a C body , I think its 70 and up. Need to find it and ck

Dang.... I've been working on putting together a cruise control system for my '70 on & off for the last 5 yrs. The only part I don't have is a good 70 b-body cruise lever (have a rough one with the guts hanging out....still looking)

Anyway.... from what I've learned, there is a subtle difference in appearance of the knobs for 68/69/70. I believe it's in 70 that you have 2 wires coming out of the stem instead of 3 wires. I believe 70 is also the first year that doesn't have the vacuum hose going to the cruise control unit. You can tap into a standard brake switch for your cruise, but the stock cruise brake switches have an extra spade connector. Each cruise control bracket is car-specific.

Each body style has a different shape/length of arm, though I've seen a guy cut up a C-body cruise lever & a B-body standard lever & graft them together. Some levers will "fit" and work, but not be exactly correct.

I may have some extra parts if you need something. I have a whole plastic tote of cruise stuff I've collected from swapping & salvage yards over the years.
Update - you cannot tap into a normal brake switch to connect the cruise control. You need a “cruise brake switch”. These have a 2nd set of blue wires coming out of them & work the opposite of the brake light wires. The blue cruise wires make connection when the brake switch is pushed in (foot NOT on brake pedal) and the regular brake light wires (white & pink ???) make connection when the brake switch button is released (foot pushing brake pedal).
Also, 69 and earlier has 4 wires coming from the cruise/turn signal arm & 70+ has only 3 wires. I was wrong in my earlier post

Yes, correct. I still have all of the factory cruise on my Charger.

Auto Transport Service
Back