• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B body k frame bolts differences?

Pepe70

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:48 PM
Reaction score
Are all the b body 63-75 k frame bolts the same dimention?
That is what I had on mind but I removed one from my 64 polara 383 and I see one from a 66 coronet 318 and what I seen is that the 64 polara bolt is shorter and thicker than the 66 318 k frame bolt.
I did not know that on b body are different k frame bolts.

Last edited:
Are all the b body 63-75 k frame bolts the same dimention?
That is what I had on mine mind but I remove one from my 64 polara 383 and I see one from a 66 coronet 318 and what I seen is that the 64 polara bolt is shorter ant more thicker than the 66 318 k frame bolt.
I did not know that on b body are different k frame bolts.

I do know that the 67 B body hemi K member the bolts are smaller than the standard K member bolts for some reason that I dont understand.

The one i am talking about is 3/8 bolt with the same length VS 1/2 bolt same length

3/8” bolts for a k member?

5EAC2A2C-F011-4325-AFB6-531B0B13E465.gif

According to my parts books, it seems like the part number changed sometime in 64, and the later part number carried on to at least 69. I don't know what the difference was. If your 64 was an early build it might have different bolts than your 66. The bolts on 73 up B bodies would be quite different.

According to my parts books, it seems like the part number changed sometime in 64, and the later part number carried on to at least 69. I don't know what the difference was. If your 64 was an early build it might have different bolts than your 66. The bolts on 73 up B bodies would be quite different.

My hemi K member is a 67 b body with 3/8 K member bolts.... this was puzzling.

I took out the original 67 440 K member from my Coronet R/T with 5/8 K member bolts... still have them..

I wonder if on the 67 some previous repair had been done. Thats a very stressed area and I would think the 3/8 is not up for the task.

It isn't. The man is confused. 3/8" is barely bigger than a standard pencil.

Yup. Was wondering if some dork put a thread insert in as a "repair" because the nut plate on the backside was damaged. Stranger things have happened. Like a 340 I worked on for a cool Pastor. One of the long timing cover/water pump bolts had been swapped out for a piece of 3/8" all thread. Odd. The reason it was done like that was in hopes of the all thread would stay in the stripped out hole in the block that was filled in with RTV and paper. I was able to find a thread repair insert that worked, barely as the pilot hole needed was 31/64" and it just barely cut any iron. I used the tap on it, threaded in and out, then set the insert using JB Weld so it wouldn't pull out.

Correction to all....

I was refering to the bolts for the steering box bolts and not the main K frame bolts which are massive in comparison.

The 3/8 12 point bolts do not have lock washers.... as did the 5/8 12 point bolt with lock washers that I removed which was the 440 on the steering box.

Sorry for my misunderstanding.... :BangHead:

The early B body models did use smaller diameter bolts to retain the steering box. I read about that in Mopar Action magazine.

The early B body models did use smaller diameter bolts to retain the steering box. I read about that in Mopar Action magazine.
There are somethings being old that pisses me off.... and the previous conversation is a good example of that.:drinks:
Mike

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back