• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B&M Quick Silver shifter - cutting / trimming the tower (cover)

roadrunnerh

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:54 AM
Reaction score
I've installed this shifter in my 75 Scamp over the past couple days. I still need to trim the front and rear portions of the cheapo plastic tower. I have a "contour gauge" on the way. Have you installed a similar shifter? How did you go about trimming the tower? Any tips you can offer? I'm aiming for a really clean look.
Thanks!
Since we all like pics...
B&M shifter no tower.jpg

You could make a cardboard template.
Also a carbide cutter works decent to shape the plastic

I've used a both flapper wheels and carbide cutters. It's really not difficult just go easy...if you take a little too much it won't smush into the carpet and have a gap.
I draw a pencil line that matches the curve and start by leaving it a little long, then fine-tune it as needed to get it to fit. The one I have now I painted with the same (Herb's) interior paint I used on other pieces.

@beanhead hey thanks for the input! I was thinking about using Herb's interior paint but the color samples on their website aren't very good in my opinion.

I am also replacing the three column pieces to remove the column shift collar and shifter. I'll definitely will be painting those pieces before installation.

Well fellas, if anybody gives a ****, or for future searches... I used a "contour gauge" to accurately get the shape. I used a 3" air cut off tool got me in the ballpark, then a small rasp on a die grinder to get closer, then sandpaper to smooth out and finish.
B&M installed 1.jpg
B&M Installed 2.jpg

Hell of a job, many might not use ratchet, I like where you went with it, shifter & green ball is pretty rad!

Auto Transport Service
Back