• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B vs RB valley-pan hold-down bars

pdiz

Local time
12:07 AM
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out if I have the correct hold-down bars on my engine. Knowing how the previous owner mickey-moused EVERYTHING, what is the difference between the two? Is it the thickness, the length, both? Engine is a 1970 440 for the record and the front one has a longer bar than the rear, but the bolt holes line up fine. I presume they should be the same length and should be the "long" version for the 440?

Last edited:
Just the length, I think. The holes also have to be correct, and I would think there's some difference there.

Okay, I just looked at the OEM reproduction ones at 440source and it seems to confirm that the RB had the longer ones both front and rear, and the 383 had the shorter ones front and rear. Thank you for the response!

I believe the bolt spacing is different too. I made a couple sets for my 440 out of 1/4x3/4 6061. They don't need to be steel.

The bolt spacing is the same ... that's why people can use the wrong ones !!!

Awhile back, I was watching that Power Nation show, they were building a stroked 440. They were buttoning it up and they did not use any of these straps. Must have been a Chevy mechanic!

Awhile back, I was watching that Power Nation show, they were building a stroked 440. They were buttoning it up and they did not use any of these straps. Must have been a Chevy mechanic!

You can seal anything with a couple of tubes of silicone!

yea i saw that . didn't know if they might have went back later and installed them

The bolt spacing is the same ..

Lol, I found this out way back in the late 70's when I had to cut down a set of RB's after I scrapped a bunch of parts including all my B rails. I assumed they were all the same.

Lol, I found this out way back in the late 70's when I had to cut down a set of RB's after I scrapped a bunch of parts including all my B rails. I assumed they were all the same.
I have a pair of 440 & 383 both have the same holes but the 440 is 8 1/4 long & the 383 is 7 1/4 long

I have 383 ones on my 440 because its what I had and it doesn't hurt it no leaks or anything.

Pat is actually a Ford guy, he stood up at my brother's wedding with me and another friend from college.
He wasn't on tv back then, was teaching at SAM.

Auto Transport Service
Back