• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad deal with Mike Gaines

BIG-A

Local time
3:51 PM
Reaction score
Long story short I jumped on the deal to purchase some parts from Mike that seemed like a bargain. The main parts were heads, intake, rocker arms and valve covers. The items I received were not as described and Mike refuses to make the deal right. Here is a link to the for sale ad. http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?88894-All-kinds-of-Mopar-stuff-take-a-look
I also spoke with Mike on the phone and he assured me that the parts were in good condition and just removed from his car. He also stated that the heads were ready to bolt on and notated this in his posting. The heads by his own posting I found from 1/6/15 need a valve job and new springs. They also will need to be surface and are in need of refurbishing. Mike did tell me that he left them oily so they wouldn't rust. The valve covers were described as having a few scratches. They are covered with scratches and one side was beat in with a hammer for distributor clearance. The rocker arms are in good shape other than the fact someone ground the nose off one and he forgot to mention this until after he shipped. The intake is an old powder coat job that needs to be stripped and re coated. It was very clean looking in the pics he posted but nasty when it showed up. Look at the pics for yourself, maybe I'm being a little over sensitive but I have thrown parts in the scrap metal pile that looked better than these. All in all I requested my money back and I would return the parts to a family member of Mikes that lives in my area. Mikes answer is to tell me to stop whining about a valve job and he wont take the parts back.
Here's the post where he states that the problem with his engine is the heads. Then he turns around and sells them to me and states they are ready to bolt on.
Capture.jpg

001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg
005.jpg
007.jpg

those valve covers look like total dogshit. I would use them to cover up my rockers before painting an engine and then toss them out.

what a shitbag, i would find him and flog him with those valve covers

My brother wanted to see the parts when they came in, and I was embarrassed to show him. I feel like it was a hard earned $1000 wasted.

Did you pay through PayPal? You are limited on your time if you did.

That totally sucks...Thanks for this thread to alert us.

Sorry to hear that

I know there's 2 sides to every one of these types of stories,
there really wasn't good set or vague prices on that parts add page

what did you pay for them ?
was it cheap enough to just fix the stuff ?
avoid the hassles & headaches

Not really knowing what was "actually" said about condition,
in your PM's or E-mails or phone conversations etc.
of the "hand Fabricated valve covers" condition is arbitrary at best "some scratches"
I guess depends on if you think they are scratched way beyond,
they were "described as" being or
whether he disclosed the heads needed a valve job, surfacing & springs etc.

I did see that they were supposed to be ported with 2.19 Int 267cfm/1.88 ex 216cfm,
that's not exactly a great flow #'s for a port job especially with the larger valves,
anyway back on subject
or that the rockers he ground on,
probably to have clearances/ground on for the big valve cover notch,
or what was agreed upon between the 2 parties

I'm not really going to take sides yet, call either person a liar...
WE Need to hear both sides,
not that I don't think your right or necessarily wrong

The parts should be described as they will be delivered...
The add is a little deceiving maybe, none of the issues as you described, in that add
no big deal if he disclosed all the issues honestly, when you contacted him,
then the price reflected the said issues...

Did you get photos of "all the parts", did you see them, before he shipped them ?
Were all the parts misrepresented ? {kind of sounds like that's what your saying}
I know some of the photos may have been older,
but he should have disclosed that condition was different too...

He seems like a stand up guy in his posts/treads in the Racers Hangout
{I know that doesn't mean much, when it comes to $$$/parts deals}

If they were "actually" misrepresented,
looks like maybe they were possibly, than you do have a honest beef...
Maybe he's cooled down some try, more willing to talk &
maybe negotiate a discount maybe or get part of the money back...

IF He was wrong...

The add does say "Ready to go", those photos don't look like it,
kind of hard to tell condition on an assembled engine in his photos in that add,
probably from when they were fresh too
I read that as "that doesn't mean they need a valve-job, surfacing & new springs etc."
even if it's a "Good Idea" to always check & go thru them anyway, before reinstalling them...

If that price was cheap enough, than maybe sand & re-polish out the valve covers
the valve springs really should be matched to your camshaft anyway,
Don't get me wrong;
that's not saying that they aren't what is represented as, just what needs to be done...

If he seemed to know that they needed a valve job, surfacing, springs & didn't tell you,
like that thread said, then lied or just didn't tell you, that's a whole other deal there...

If you knew he took them off a running engine,
you should also know they aren't new or probably even ran a while,
will no doubt probably need work too, check them over,
lap the valves & get the proper springs for you camshaft min...

That doesn't excuse any deception if there was some...

I hope you guys can work it out

we'll see if he makes it good or you can negotiate a compromise...
caveat emptor/buyer beware, even among fellow FBBO members

good luck

To me ready to bolt on means just that, maybe others have a different opinion. Heres a PM he sent me claiming ready to bolt on.
Capture2.jpg

" GOOD BUY ON SOLID PARTS "
That's really open to interpretation.
They ARE solid but are they any good???

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, I was interested in those same valve covers but never heard back from the seller.

Another good reason to never pay by "gift", I always offer to either split or pay the fees if the seller insists on being paid by gift, there is no reason to put yourself at risk.

Hopefully he will make it right with you.

Did you pay through PayPal? You are limited on your time if you did.
I did but as a gift so he didnt have to pay fees. Pretty much Im stuck.
Only crooks want gift payments, if he was honest, he'd give you your money back.

And it really doesn't matter about what you thought you bought, if you are not happy, you deserve your money back minus shipping costs.

Man people just arnt honist anymore. I've been in a situation before .I drove 3 1/2 hours with my trailer guy in tow to buy a 47 Buick i was told the car was rust free dent free and all there . I needed it gone.and was told bring him $1500 and take it off his hands . I showed up saw a Buick asked if we could have the parts car too (I'd give him a few extra bucks ,he said that's the car you came for .there was more rust then metal missing half of the parts and then he says I decided I want another $1000 so $2500 take it or leave it . And oh yeah I can't find the title so no title , I was so pissed,my wife was pissed my driver wasn't happy .then the guy started getting loud saying I waisted his time. I told him if he was honest with me and the price stayed the same I would have bought it as a parts car. So no deal on the Buick ,I did find a nice trans am on the way back and bought it sold it before we even got home made $1000 for the day so it worked out .
But back to your problem everyone has a diff version of perfect or bolt on hell it's all bolt on (besides a valve job) witch I'd probably do anyways.the rocker was clearenced for the beat in valve cover I'm guessing so it works I guess ,and you could probably make the valve covers and intake look good with a little effort. I'm not agreeing with anyone but they are used parts and to buy all the stuff new would cost a lot more . I'd say lesson learned sucks it happened.
Please everyone just be up front and honest with your stuff when I post stuff I tell it how it is I may have it for awhile but everything sells eventually and with no problems.I don't like getting bad parts and I won't send bad parts . If I can't confirm condition I tell the buyer up front and send them tons of pics and they can decide if it's worth messing with . Well I'm done I hope an agreement can be made maybe you keep the parts and he refunds some money (maybe enough to get the head work done) good luck

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and the PayPal gift payment well if I'm receiving payment it comes off the top (cost of business) if I'm paying I insist that it go's threw regular if it's a hassle and only a few bucks I pay it for peace of mind .on very expensive things I dint like takeing the hit (no one does ) so if they want I'll pay half and they pay half but usealy they say no gifts fine and I'll also do this if I know the buyer or seller

If someone isn't OK sending PayPal marked as gift they should include the fees and if you do a bad deal by any way possible you should make it right. Word travels fast around here. Give him a chance to make it right and if he doesn't then KILL HIM!

Just kidding about the last sentence. APRIL FOOLS and I hope you both can work this out.

Sent Mike a message this morning requesting a partial refund, we will see how he responds. Hopefully we can come to an agreement. That was my play money and took me about 8 months of working side jobs to pocket it. Hard to have play money with the wife and two young kids always needing something. I was going to buy a set of the aluminum heads from Hughes engines then I found this deal and thought it was perfect. I guess things aren't always what they seem.
image.jpg

BigA,
Sorry to hear about what happened. If all else fails perhaps you can re-list the items ACCURATELY and maybe take a small loss? I know I know not what you want to hear, but I'm just searching for options.

One of the smaller reasons of why I enjoy Mopars so much is that the community, though it be much smaller than Furd or Chebby, is a well-knit one. I hope things turn out better for you. I too know how hard money can come by with two small ones and a wife to care for.

Good luck!

Hey BigA, if you would like, send me those valve covers and I'll make them shiny again.......no cost at all and i'll ship them back for free. You'll just need to pay for the ride to me. I'm here to help any way I can.

So...no mention and no pic of pounding on valve cover?

No mention of grinding on rocker?

Questionable disclosure on condition of heads?

I say, BS and money needs to go back if above is true.

Thank you for the offer, I will pm you tonight
Hey BigA, if you would like, send me those valve covers and I'll make them shiny again.......no cost at all and i'll ship them back for free. You'll just need to pay for the ride to me. I'm here to help any way I can.

5.7- It's guys like you that make FBBO great !!!!:headbang:

Auto Transport Service
Back