• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad engine following transmission overhaul?

fauxrunner73

Local time
2:41 PM
Reaction score
Hi gang,

I know that correlation isn't necessarily causation, but I recently had my transmission rebuilt and got a bad engine back as a reward. I actually drove my 73 Satellite to the transmission place down the street with a bad front clutch (flaring between 2/3)... while the transmission was questionable in "D", the engine was fine and started up reliably every time.

After they dropped, rebuilt, and reinstalled the A904 - and I'm sure it's a bang-up nice job! - the car stalled out on me on the drive home. Obviously my first thought was transmission as I coasted to a stop in traffic, but it became clear that the engine had quit. I restarted the car and immediate started my 1/2 mile drive back to the shop, but she repeatedly stalled out on my drive back there. And yes... I eventually coasted into the parking lot of the transmission place.

The guys at the transmission shop looked it over, determined that it was fuel starvation, noted some anomalies on the carb itself, and recommended a carb problem. I managed to get the car home, but again coasted into the garage. I've been pouring over the carb since then, even replaced the tired battery, but the engine will not reliably run or even turn over most times. I am incredibly frustrated by my lack of progress following the transmission overhaul!

I completely agree that it's a fuel starvation problem, but I have trouble believing that a perfectly running engine developed a carb issue while in the shop. Does anyone have any recommendations or similar issues? Knicked EVAP or fuel lines to blame? I don't know, but I'd love some advice... thanks everyone.

If it is indeed fuel starvation, I’d check the fuel pump and filter

Just for grins, ...and I realize that you said it's a fuel problem, but how is your exhaust pipes/headers, etc. Did the transmission shop perhaps bend (or crush) your header pipe? Just spitballin'

How old is the fuel pump push rod? Good Luck

IMHO, just a coincidence; but frustrating nonetheless.

Anything's possible unless you watched their every move. Carefully check things they could have damaged...check all your wiring too. I've had coils do the same thing when they've gone bad. Good luck

They took it out for some burn outs and broke something
Shops.......
source.gif

could the pick up get plugged in the tank? check the wires,fuel pump going? start with the simple stuff first before you start buying,good luck.

Now you know why a a I do all my own work, including rebuilding my own transmission, front wheel alignment, etc. Hell, I can screw it up for free, but at least I know what's been done. These cars weren't understood very well when new by many people. Now, Good Lord. I've been burned a few times on repairs, so, much as I'd like to take it somewhere and say 'fix it' I've lost trust in most repair shops. I have had good luck with having cylinder heads overhauled, exhaust fabricated, and tires mounted and balanced, but that's it.

I had the same thing happen with my 904. Lost 3rd gear. Front clutch pack was burned up.
Is the gas tank good? Mine was full of rust. It would run, but after a couple of fuel pumps I checked it. Left me stranded three times before i wised up.

It s hard to find a shop that takes care of the complete car. transmission shop usually just do that and only that.
And to be honest there no real good mechanics out there any more , just guys re and re the parts.
so that what you get. And i see it a lot before they end up at my place.
if i do a automatic transmission job. i remove it carefully and over see the job.
then I send the transmission out to my transmission guy( he rebuilds it and not the one re &re it)
Example right here
This client came from another shop with a realy nice 66 mustang for hand bake cables , because he had a tarmac 5 speed put in.
and they didn't reconnect the cables because the old tranny had the pivot on it , so they didn't know what to do
they hacked it in and cut the car, the bell housing is touching the tunnel!!!!, it all has to come down and go back up properly.
not the case for you because it wasn't a mod but just saying , a lot shops are half *** .
They don't how and what to charge so they just try and do it cheap and throw it on, when theres other issues because its a old car and what ever
when people ask me how much and the say " it only takes 4 hrs to change a transmission " or what ever
i say 85 $ a hour until its done ( or 105$ if you own a exotic car)it takes the time it takes if you want it done right.
thats what it cost.

Drop the gas tank and see what it looks like. On my 73 Charger the pickup was clogged. It would run for a while and then die. The guys at the shop put an electric pump on it, still no luck. Finally I went down there and had 'em drop the tank; a clog. Ditched the electric pump and never had a problem since.

I’d think the trans guys did something accidentally. engine needs fuel, spark and air (intake and exhaust). So I’d look for:

crushed or kinked fuel / vent / return

Crushed exhaust? (Damn that’d be a hack job but possible)

Nicked wiring (I’m thinking coil)

Carb. When they disconnected the kickdown linkage, they didn’t need to touch the carb, but maybe someone did.

Clogged fuel line/ etc - maybe some banging around sent some fuel system rust into the filter / carb

Broken engines make bad sounds... I think it’s something simple.

Heres a thought that I have seen. When they pulled the trans did the dist cap go back and hit the firewall and break something?

when they took tranny down the engine dropped a bit and maybe kinked a fuel line , or when they put it back pinched a wire ??

Disconnect the fuel line after the pump and see if you're getting fuel.

Auto Transport Service
Back