• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad fresh 727 noises

Front clutch for performance use is .012"-.015" per friction. So with 5 frictions that's .060-.075". If it's larger it won't kill it. Factory can be .130". Rear clutch .025-.040". There are different thickness steels available as well. I woulldn't worry. You are fine.
Doug

So.. i put it back together last weekend and the endplay was .085, i'm not in a rush to put it back in the car so i figure i'll order a .102 pump washer and a input/output thrust washer shim... Parts show up.. they sent a input/output thrust washer instead of the shim... Just an annoyance as it will now wait another week on a $2 part..

Ordered from Transmissionpartsusa.com, they shipped fast which is nice and the prices are really good but... yeah.. :)

Anyway.. since i'm posting.. I have read a couple of 727 books and watched a ton of videos but no one ever explains what the rear pumps actual function is.. i know you could push start a car with a rear pump trans but do they serve another purpose? Also curious if it's possible to make sure the ball bearing stayed in place before butting it all up. (just my paranoid brain messing with me as usual)

I always put a glob of grease in the ball socket to hold the ball during assembly.

I always put a glob of grease in the ball socket to hold the ball during assembly.
I did the same... i am using that thick blue trans assembly goo.. makes the trans near impossible to turn by hand til it runs though :) My brain just started thinking bout when i put the rear drum/gearsets in that i was moving the output shaft in and out a bit which made me wonder if the bearing could have fallen out.. I hate my brain it does **** like this to me all the time

The rear pump feeds governor pressure. If there is no check ball driving the inner rotor the trans will not shift out of 1st gear. If I remember correctly with a stock valve body the front pump pressure is bypassed and the rear pump supplies fluid pressure for clutches and bands when the vehicle gets up to speed.
Doug

The rear pump feeds governor pressure. If there is no check ball driving the inner rotor the trans will not shift out of 1st gear. If I remember correctly with a stock valve body the front pump pressure is bypassed and the rear pump supplies fluid pressure for clutches and bands when the vehicle gets up to speed.
Doug
Thanks doug.. didn't think it did that much, now i know :)

Place hasn't responded back bout the wrong part shipped.. probably gonna put it back together with what i have, should end up around .065 endplay which is in spec but not great, no biggy.

Thanks doug.. didn't think it did that much, now i know :)

Place hasn't responded back bout the wrong part shipped.. probably gonna put it back together with what i have, should end up around .065 endplay which is in spec but not great, no biggy.
I have shims and thrust washers.
Doug

I have shims and thrust washers.
Doug

thanks, they finally emailed me last night and sent the shim.... but i'm thinking 50/50 they will send a second thrust washer..

Auto Transport Service
Back