• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad looking differential fluid

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:11 PM
Reaction score
What do you make of this. Changed the lube in my Dana 60 out while changing the pinion seal and yoke. I wasn’t expecting this brown syrup.

A08F863B-1054-484E-88DF-6DFF22DD02DB.jpeg

I’m guessing some moisture/water got into it? Maybe something else? It’s not original to my 66, it has a 68 date on it. I refilled it and think I will run it for 20 miles or so and drain/fill it again and run it until it makes noise.

How long have you been running it since last change? If it's been quite awhile n no noise or metal, you're probably good.

I’ve only had the car about 15 months but I haven’t put but a couple dozen miles on it due to the extensive work it needed. I don’t think it’s been driven much for about 10-15 years. Think I’ll drain the 4-speed also. Both were low on lube when I bought it - possibly from slow seeps over many years.

It is due and is cheap insurance. Look at finding it as a good thing. As my buddy used to say, new fluids are cheaper than rebuilds.

Auto Transport Service
Back