• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ball and Trunion ATF leaking passed internal splines ?

rustytoolss

Local time
11:51 AM
Reaction score
OK all of you old school Ball and Trunion guys. My 62 Fury is leaking ATF between the splines of the transmission output shaft/ and the internal splines of the flange. I've replaced the rear tailshaft seal (and that is dry).. But when I remove the driveshaft there is ATF leaking into the void area of the flange and the back flat tin plate of the trunion, I have cleaned all splines with brake clean, and then put RTV on the splines, then tightened the flange nut. But ATF still gets into the void area. So what am I doing wrong ? Is this nornal..Someone help me out hear...Please. Thanks

The ball & trunion has nothing to do with your ATF leak. I would replace the transmission tail shaft bushing & a new seal, slso check for wear on the driveshaft flange going into your transmission.

The ball & trunion has nothing to do with your ATF leak. I would replace the transmission tail shaft bushing & a new seal, slso check for wear on the driveshaft flange going into your transmission.
It's NOT leaking around the tailshaft seal. When you remove the driveshaft, the ATF is seaping between the spline of the outputshaft of the transmission/ and the spline of the flange for the ball and trunnion unit. And yes the ATF is seaping between the splines. So the problem is that the ATF is seaping between the splines. It is not leaking ATF fuid out of the Ball and trunnion joint.

Last edited:
OK all of you old school Ball and Trunion guys. My 62 Fury is leaking ATF between the splines of the transmission output shaft/ and the internal splines of the flange. I've replaced the rear tailshaft seal (and that is dry).. But when I remove the driveshaft there is ATF leaking into the void area of the flange and the back flat tin plate of the trunion, I have cleaned all splines with brake clean, and then put RTV on the splines, then tightened the flange nut. But ATF still gets into the void area. So what am I doing wrong ? Is this nornal..Someone help me out hear...Please. Thanks

No sealer should be required unless the splines are worn enough to allow fluid to get past. Check the fit for play between the splines, should be a snug fit.

Here's what the Factory Service Manual shows...
20230410_220555.jpg

20230410_220843.jpg

20230410_220923.jpg

Don't fret about the 175 ft lbs. 100-125 should be good. Could be the orientation of the washer? Make sure the transmission isn't overfilled.

Put some Loctite 567 Pipe sealant on BOTH sides of the washer, & also on the threads. Make sure the area is thoroughly dry, wipe with lacquer thinner. Those are the areas that can get leakage & this will stop it.

No sealer should be required unless the splines are worn enough to allow fluid to get past. Check the fit for play between the splines, should be a snug fit.

Here's what the Factory Service Manual shows...
View attachment 1448059

View attachment 1448060

View attachment 1448061

Don't fret about the 175 ft lbs. 100-125 should be good. Could be the orientation of the washer? Make sure the transmission isn't overfilled.
Thanks, This car sits alot, and over the winter also. Maybe with the converter draining back the overfill condition maybe the cause.

Put some Loctite 567 Pipe sealant on BOTH sides of the washer, & also on the threads. Make sure the area is thoroughly dry, wipe with lacquer thinner. Those are the areas that can get leakage & this will stop it.
So you have seen this problem before / or know of it ? This car sits alot, might be due to converter drain back.

Even if it is c'ter drain back, it should not leak. Fluid is being flung around with the car moving. You need to seal the areas where fluid can leak, as above.

My Jeep Liberty Diesels do that at the front axle, similar setup. i just coat the spline and washer with Loctite 518. No more leak.

Auto Transport Service
Back