• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Toyota CV Axles PITA

threewood

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:49 PM
Reaction score
What should have been 2 hours worth of work turned into 8 hours of bullshit. 2006 Toyota Avalon.

Needed to replace ball joints and strut assembly. Plus the pass side cv axle had a split boot. The axle is held in by an axle nut and c clip on the shaft mount. Both removed. It would not budge. Nope. Removed cv engine mount. Nope Tried prying, beating and finally I welded a bar to use a slide hammer. Nope. I then attached the slide hammer to a ratchet strap attached to a solid object and gave it hell. Nope.

I then took off the trans pan in hopes I could see an internal clip. Nope. No access to diff from the pan. I thought about explosives....but then put the piece of **** old axle back in. That ****** is going to die with the car.
20240323_170641.jpg
20240323_170648.jpg

Yup those ones you have to remove the mount and get it apart on the bench.
Pita is right.

There's dowels that sieze the mount to the block. No circlip holding the shaft in the trans

There's dowels that sieze the mount to the block. No circlip holding the shaft in the trans
Nope, no dowels. Pass side has the half shaft, longer cv. There is an external circlip holding the bearing into the intermediate mount. I removed both. The only connection remaining was in the transaxle. If I had a tractor I would have used it to rip it out, but I don't.

the bearing support bracket is dowel pined to the block to locate it. the bearing seizes into the bracket. you must unbolt it from the block and remove the entire axle from the trans to get the bracket off.

the bearing support bracket is dowel pined to the block to locate it. the bearing seizes into the bracket. you must unbolt it from the block and remove the entire axle from the trans to get the bracket off.
Exactly
Screenshot_20240324_082951_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240324_083005_Chrome.jpg

There were 3 bolts holding the bracket to the block. Those were removed and the assembly was free from the block. The shaft was stuck in the transaxle.

There's a guy near me that does very good YouTube videos on Toyota and Lexus vehicles
He has a nice shop and used to be a dealer Mechanic. "The Car Care Nut". His shop is in
Homer Glen, Il. TCCN Automotive. Look his videos up or get on the phone and call! He
helped me keep my sanity a few times!

Exactly. There is nothing holding the axle in the transmission.

Well...It is a Toyota after all. Not the easiest to work on...DAMHIK...I feel your pain and frustration here...cr8crshr/Bill :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

I'll believe ya,, but did you look at your new axle?
New axle splined end had no retainer either. Every video shows the mechanic just popping it out. I had a ratchet strap pulling mine and the thing didn't budge.
20240324_131230.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back