• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bandimere Denver closing

It sure does Mark... I believe this is the start of things to come this year. It does suck for sure.

Old and New Fossil Fuel "Relics" do Not fit into "Their" America's future path. We're lucky to have 2 local facilities, within a hours drive. Not NHRA Quality, but keeping them going now. How long ???

Multi million dollar facility that was always with latest up grades. Such a shame.
I raced there in the 70's. Last time on the track was 2000.
I'm sure it will be sold to housing developers.

Old and New Fossil Fuel "Relics" do Not fit into "Their" America's future path. We're lucky to have 2 local facilities, within a hours drive. Not NHRA Quality, but keeping them going now. How long ???

Yep sad news. I believe Jerry at Empire is shooting for IHRA events with the newer concrete walls and all the upgrades to parking and such.

The Houston track just did the same thing a couple of weeks ago. The family owned business retired and sold off the track and their construction business.

I didn't see that SteveSS started the same tread 5min before me. Too funny because I met Steve at Bandimere last year.

You have to wonder if there is not a plan going on, that "someone" is buying these facilities up, just to eliminate the sport ? I think the Major Sponsorship's dropping out are having a huge impact on this also ???

I don't see housing being built on that land. Bandimere in carved out of the side of a hill right next to a major freeway. Also just to the north of the track is a large MX track. It will probably be developed as commercial property or maybe be turned back into open space.
No more Mopar Mile High Nats after this year. No more Mopers at Thunder Mt.. No more Coys swap meet.

You have to wonder if there is not a plan going on, that "someone" is buying these facilities up, just to eliminate the sport ? I think the Major Sponsorship's dropping out are having a huge impact on this also ???
The land the Houston track was sitting on became prime real estate when companies started building ware houses in the area. Can't believe how many have gone up over the years out there. Anyways, the Angel brothers sold the land to the owners of the ware house complex next door. The track had a big event a couple of weekends ago and as soon as that event was over, they started tearing down the tower. Walmart alone has a 5 million sq ft campus out in that area.....

Dirt is worth a fortune. Wish I bought more 30 years ago when I moved to Nevada.
If I was moving here today I wouldn't be able to afford it.

Sad for sure

Hope the Bandimere Family (3-4 generations) will open another track
in a lower altitude & much better elevation too :poke:
maybe with some trees/shade, much better air...
They are class acts, sad to see it go away...

I can't say I'll miss the 5,820+ft elevation,
I can't say I saw the corrected air density ever lower than 7,000 ft
& that 10,000ft altitude/RAD or the 140*+ track temps, a greasy track...
(0.5-0.7 min. to a full second corrections, hp killing corrections)
Especially on the hotter days :poke:
It was a tad better after they did the 'radiated cooling tubes',
under the track starting areas surface & the new concrete
to 1st 330 ft (or 660 ft) of the track...

It was expensive just to set up a car to run there, for only 1 or 2 times
a year at most 'for me', but I liked the place/people...
I needed a specific build, set-ups, much lower 1st gear or rear gears too
a thinner head gaskets (or pistons w/more compression $$)
more timing advance, much more advanced tuneup altogether,
far leaner burn, always on the edge of destroying ****,
if you wanted to win & 'for making far less power' even with alcohol,
a Blower (with tons of overdrive) or N2O...
That's hard for 'real heads-up racers' to cope with, going backward/slower...

Some people hated it, some touring racers would skip the event altogether...
But,
there were lots of locals that ran anyway, usually a packed house...

I remember always;
A bunch of long cleanups &/or either a tire smoke fest, clutch tuners/crew chiefs race
or the people grenade-ing **** constantly, because of it, not used to it (the altitude)
& some racers "ran their best races there too" :BangHead: albeit much slower, so go figure...

But it was a;
1st class facility
1st class ownership, Bandimere family
1st class people/employees always treated me like a king
so did the community near the track
or down in Golden at the MoPar events
especially if they knew you were a traveling racer, special discounts,
got a few free drinks/beers too...

What the hell will they build in Morrison Co. ?
no trees, no cover, way too remote, too windy,
too hot/dry 'as hell' in summer
well sort of anyway
I haven't been since 2017

Sad to see it go away, any track for that matter

I commented in another thread about my experiences there

Last edited:
Yea, It's not just Racetracks. I had a nearby Drive-In theater and a Local large bowling alley close this spring.They were both thriving and open businesses.they were sold for millions to become Apartments and a "Living Community".
"Pave Paradise and put up a Parking Lot" !

Auto Transport Service
Back