• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

beating a dead horse....cooling system issue

I just bought another 2 1" row aluminum from Engineered products out of Chicago. My first one was just eaten by the 20" fan blade with a clutch, off an 85 Chrysler 5th ave.. I also used the shroud. I had to modify for clearance with the hoses and filter. I only had it in for a year and a half. Of course it couldn't have gone bad with the old rad. I am going to do the same thing again as far as the fan assembly. I ran it for 4 years with no problems. Hey s*** happens. It has a larger tranny cooler and kept my 451 nice and cool. I think $ 248.00 with shipping ain't to bad when I see others twice that. I'm not into buying names. I did consider the champion but I really was sold on the larger cooler. I'll have it ready to run Saturday. Take care and stay cool!! HOWARD

Because the Cordoba was heating up in traffic I spent yesterday removing my electric fan and switching back to the stock thremostatic (I'm sure glad I kept it). The original shroud disintegrated when I removed it a few years ago so I got one from a late model van and made it fit. It's not pretty (yet) but I went for a 20 mile drive and then let the car sit in teh driveway and idle for 20 minutes while I tidied up the garage, the engine temp never went above 190.

Unless I'm building a race car I think I'll just stick with the stock fan on any future projects.

Unless you have a 700 hp monster, stock cooling works fine. Ma Mopar knew. Green coolant, shrouds, 180, copper, and clutch fans work just fine. Ma knew...

Aluminum and a bunch of electric fans are not always better. I idled the 440 in Reno for hours at 105 degrees. It did not get hot.

hey guys just got my new champion 3 core rad , 26" wide could only get a 5 blade clutch fan , and a shroud from summit that was supposed to be a direct fit , but like most bolt on parts , they need mods , I dont know if it was the rad or shroud but both required a little fab to install . i spent some extra time sealing edges with foam rubber and split vacuum line so the air flow was not compromised . only small amount of run time but idles for over an hour at 150-160'f (160 t/stat) , 1-2mile run up the hiway about 180'f now I am optimising timing and chasing other minor concern . seems to have a missfire at idle and noise from d/s valvecover dont know if the higher lift cam (485/495") is causing rocker arm contact with the oil baffle or if reusing the oem rockers and shafts may have excessive side play . awe well at least it is cooling a whole bunch better:hello2:

I just found a 20" 7 blade clutch setup from a 92 W250 Dodge with a 360 auto. I blasted and painted the blade and cleaned up the center and for $30.00 I'm happy. The last one was a 5 blade and it did a good job. I'm thinkin this should move more air, and it's a little closer to the rad. The radiator went right in and I used the shroud off the 85 Chrysler and it fit the holes. I just had to add the t- nuts for the screws. Again good luck and stay cool Howard

Auto Transport Service
Back