• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Been a member for a while, on the 18th I will have a car!

I'd advise taking a spare ECM (brain), ballast resistor, and voltage regulator...and some 14/12 ga alligator clip test leads.

I'd advise taking a spare ECM (brain), ballast resistor, and voltage regulator...and some 14/12 ga alligator clip test leads.
^^^ Totally agree. These are great parts to bring.

A couple of other things to consider besides what is on your list:
  • Cap and rotor. These MIGHT be fine on the car, but if they are worn or suspect, they are not readily available at a local auto parts store. They are light and easy to bring with you on the plane. Check this before you leave.
  • Maybe consider replacing the fuel filter. Many of these old cars have crap in the gas tanks and the fuel filters and carbs suffer because of it. My gas tank on my 70 Road Runner had fine beige looking "silt" in it, and seemed to magically pass through DOUBLE filters and STILL screwed up my carb. Pull the old fuel filter and maybe even cut it up. If you see a fine beige silt you may be in for trouble with the carb.
    Just brainstorming here: Maybe buy a carb rebuild kit before your trip? I know I am perhaps stretching the "side of road" repairs here, but if the carb gets gunked up you can do a quickie rebuild. Either way I would bring carb cleaner spray.
  • Thermostat and maybe even a water pump (again perhaps stretching here a bit). Cooling systems are often overlooked and not maintained like they should be, especially if the car has been sitting awhile. Water pumps are fairly small for big blocks are easy to swap but may be hard to find quickly if you are stuck on the road.
When on the road, of course keep a close eye on all the gauges, and check fluids at each stop.

Good luck and FBBO can be here to help as well!

Hawk

Welcome from Missouri!! Very nice!!

I was planning on, oil, brake fluid, atf, coolant, fuses, alt belt, water pump belt, jumper cables, funnel, rags/towels and a new basic tool kit. Since I am flying in, will grab pliers, sae sockets/drivers/wrenches, dykes, screw drivers new jack, stands, and probably get one of those battery jump boxes. Figure a couple hundred in tools and such could be a literal life saver. Non smart *** question, if you can think of something I am missing from that list, please throw it out there. Been a while since I had a car I could wrench on, I am more than rusty. Also got a haynes manual I will be bringing with me.

I would also bring a gas can and fill it with Non Oxy Premium and try and map out gas stops along the way that carry Non Oxy Premium. I can tell when I have to run Ethanol blended fuels. Jeff

Appreciate all the responses and brotherhood on the site!

Appreciate all the responses and brotherhood on the site!
^^^ Totally agree. These are great parts to bring.

A couple of other things to consider besides what is on your list:
  • Cap and rotor. These MIGHT be fine on the car, but if they are worn or suspect, they are not readily available at a local auto parts store. They are light and easy to bring with you on the plane. Check this before you leave.
  • Maybe consider replacing the fuel filter. Many of these old cars have crap in the gas tanks and the fuel filters and carbs suffer because of it. My gas tank on my 70 Road Runner had fine beige looking "silt" in it, and seemed to magically pass through DOUBLE filters and STILL screwed up my carb. Pull the old fuel filter and maybe even cut it up. If you see a fine beige silt you may be in for trouble with the carb.
    Just brainstorming here: Maybe buy a carb rebuild kit before your trip? I know I am perhaps stretching the "side of road" repairs here, but if the carb gets gunked up you can do a quickie rebuild. Either way I would bring carb cleaner spray.
  • Thermostat and maybe even a water pump (again perhaps stretching here a bit). Cooling systems are often overlooked and not maintained like they should be, especially if the car has been sitting awhile. Water pumps are fairly small for big blocks are easy to swap but may be hard to find quickly if you are stuck on the road.
When on the road, of course keep a close eye on all the gauges, and check fluids at each stop.

Good luck and FBBO can be here to help as well!

Hawk
Anyone use this kit before? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...88evoX7B0_sHqtqK4gJmfk8sezD4fkexoChF0QAvD_BwE

Auto Transport Service
Back