• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Been busy!!!

Donny

Local time
1:30 PM
Reaction score
Hi folks, been a while since I last stopped in and chatted! I've taken a new job on the Union Pacific railroad as a Conductor in training. I still have the media blasting business, I hired a guy to do the work -- it's been hard getting him up to my standard, but, he went and got trifocals and he can now see correctly -- and see what he's doing :confused2:

I took in a 70 Charger RT today, it appears to be an original Orange color car, I didn't know they did Orange in 1970, but, then again it may be just a rarer color. This car has had some Frankenstein surgery over it's life, both fenders are a junkyard amalgam of parts, under the layers of Bondo I found some serious sickening welds and fabrication work. Both fenders are junk; they are clean junk though!

Some serious right front rocker panel work, I can't wait to get in under the bondo, fiberglass, and other handiwork done years ago. So far, it looks really scary! Not too much rust, but it's been banged up pretty good! I'll get some pics later in the week coming, cheers!

Conductor in Training? That's an interesting career direction. Sounds pretty cool actually.

You have my sympathy Donny, a Conductor spends MANY many more hours working than you may have been led to expect, and as time goes on and you see how many not just RR rules you are required to follow, but how many FRA (Federal Railroad Administration) rules you can violate by accident and some of the penalties, you may start asking what were you thinking. A willful violation of some rules can result in such penalties as $10K plus fines as well as jail time. Simply having a cell phone turned on in the cab of a locomotive is a fireable offense as well as carrying penalties.
I've worked for the RR (CSX) for over 30 years now as a Carman, and there's no way I'd even consider taking a conductor's job.
You do have my best wishes, and I sure hope it's not as bad as I'm making it sound. You'll just have to let us know.

Good luck with your new career path Donny, Hope it works out well and is a challenge for you. Love the sauce BTW!

Hey Buck, yeah, I've heard of these stories, and frankly, I figured I'd never know how good/bad it is unless I try it out, so, I will give myself about 90 days to see if this is something I 'like' and would be willing to do. This is NOT my only egg in the basket so to speak; but, if I didn't try it out I will never know. So, after trying it out-and seeing if I like it, and am willing to put up with the extreme hours, I will let you all know, but, the $$ is very very good!

A buddy of mine,s wife worked for the u/p rairoad...she was in charge of scheduling transportation of all federal arms on the rail...Good money,good benifits and great retiremnt...Thats great news...Lots of luck!!!!!
Petty Blue 67 gTx

I think I will give it a year -- see how it goes. The money is frigging way good! Engineers & Conductors I work with at over 6 figures a year!

Well, that career didn't go but 61 days! I was thinking this is NOT for me, yeah, the money is good, but, if you are always on a train and never any time off and at home, the suckiness outweighs the benefits. Plus, one particular instructor named (oh I want to drop a name to you all on his FELONY ridden ***), well, he and I got sideways 1 minute into class, and, the reasons are so effed up that the UP had to be aware of them, I just fired off a 13 page letter to the VP if recruiting informing him of the situation that went down this past week. Needless to say, I don't pick fights I know I can't win, this one I strongly think I can make some issue with.

Plus, I missed working for myself and calling my own hours etc.

Hope to get back at the game here soon on my GTX!

good luck

well don, nothing ventured nothing gained. i don't know your age but i'm guessing somewhat younger than me. i have done the same stuff as you described and same results. you will eventually find your niche and it will work. if your not happy its a hard world and $$$ only put a skim coat on it. i have buddies up here on the r/r, engineers and conductors makeing huge $, big benefits, nice pension but not happy. when they see some of us other guys doing what we do for grins when we want to, they shake their heads, and have to wait for their call in.
be happy buddie. find your niche and have a grin. your a long time dead. good luck. rick:headbang:

Hey Donny, great to have you back on here! Sorry that it didn't go better for you but at the same time it sounds like it would take a particular kind of person to be able to deal with that type of schedule. Can't wait to see you making progress on your cars. Hell, I can't wait to see me start making progress on my cars for that matter!

Welcome back! Hell, I've never even been on a train (at least not legally) and well, wouldn't mind taking a trip on one but don't believe I'd care to be an employee on one......

engineers

Well,Donny,it"s good to have you back with your interesting threads.Ihave also often thought it would be interesting to be an engineer.But I noticed long ago that when sitting at a RR crossing and looking at the train go by,the engineers are never smiling.The money is good,but useless if you have no time to spend it doing the things you like. Now I hope we get to see more pics of progress on your rides.Bernie.

When the manager said "This isn't for you", he was taking a shot across my bow that I am retired from the Army and get a pension, and my blasting business is continuing! I was like I can't do this job, I need to be at my shop -- I need to answer my phone -- hell, I need to be back working for myself!!!! The drug that I warn you all about is self-employment, once you start, do it, and become successful, no way can you go back to the grind...no way!

I'm getting my house in order (shop) bc I got 3 late 50s early 60s GM pickups coming in, and a Firebird all in the next 30 days or so...

Auto Transport Service
Back