• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beep beep horn location

vegiguy

Local time
9:20 PM
Reaction score
On which side is the horn located on '73 Road Runners? It looks like there are holes for it to be mounted on both sides of the fronts of the inner fenders, and there are electrical leads for it on both sides as well. I suspect that is because the Satellites got dual standard honk horns. Sorry for my ignorance but I got this project car in pieces, and a lot of them were piled haphazardly in the trunk.

Thanks.

1971-74 should all have the same short horn/bracket combo as it is mounted on the right fender instead of the radiator support.

'71 the horn bracket is threaded, bolt goes through open hole in rad support and threads into horn bracket[s/] vs the '70 down that the rad support has the threaded insert.

Last edited:
1971-74 should all have the same short horn/bracket combo as it is mounted on the right fender instead of the radiator support.
Not correct. 71 is a LONG bracket...

Not correct. 71 is a LONG bracket...

My answer quoted from a post on this site and was directed to the location only. If you do a search you will find several posts on this subject. Just trying to help....

My answer came from a quote on this site and was directed to the location only. If you do a search you will find several posts on this subject. Just trying to help....
No problem just don't want someone to read it and buy the wrong horn...

'71 the horn bracket is threaded, bolt goes through open hole in rad support and threads into horn bracket vs the '70 down that the rad support has the threaded insert.

Nope, not correct at all for 71. Photo of my original car for reference. Can't speak to whether 73 is different
horn.jpg

Nope, not correct at all for 71. Photo of my original car for reference. Can't speak to whether 73 is different View attachment 1063453
The '73 RR I'm working on looks quite a bit different than this. There's a fuel vapor canister in the corner where the plastic bottle on your car is and right behind it is where the fuel vapor line comes up from the gas tank, so the horn couldn't mount there. Also the horn that came with my car has a different mounting bracket. On my car there are two holes - one small and one a little larger - on top of the front of the inner fender structure just forward of the radiator support, so I've thought the horn mounts right underneath those holes (which are for the mounting bolt and locating tab of the horn bracket?). This would put the horn in back of the headlight, pretty much out of view. I don't even think Plymouth bothered to put a decal on my horn as there wasn't any indication it ever had one on it before I repainted it, since it wouldn't be visible anyway. The horn was still painted the unique violet color though.

The reason I thought the horn might mount n the left side is because when you mount it to the right side as I previously explained the electrical terminal on the horn points toward the front, away from the wiring harness. The lead coming off of the harness is plenty long enough to still be plugged in the terminal on the horn though, I think.

I always just go to Google. It always brings me back to here or DC.com. That was the first listed item from the search!

I always just go to Google. It always brings me back to here or DC.com. That was the first listed item from the search!
Funny - I tried all sorts of wording and search engines and couldn't find that post. I spent the better part of an hour I bet.

1972 is not in the same location as 1971. In 72 the charcoal canister is mounted where the horn is on the 71. The horn on 72's goes in the space between the bumper and core support. Not sure about 73-74's.

Auto Transport Service
Back