• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best distributor for low deck with victor heads?

TX73SE

Local time
9:33 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I’m going through the process of getting parts together for my build and I’ve read some have issues worth certain distributors clearing edelbrock heads, especially Victors.
Any that can share what works and what doesn’t, it’s greatly appreciated.

my build will be a 451 with Edelbrock 77919 gen 1 victors.

I’ve got a lead on a Mallory unilite 383, but wanted to confirm fitment first.

thanks for your input and experience.

I’d pick the distributor you want to run and just grind the head. I haven’t read anywhere where certain ones absolutely won’t fit no matter what. Seems like a little massaging of the head is all that needed.

I'm running an MSD 8545
IMG_20190228_082952.jpg
on my 470 w/ Edelbrock heads. No problems. And no grinding!

I'm running an MSD 8545 View attachment 1134740 on my 470 w/ Edelbrock heads. No problems. And no grinding!

I was going to suggest an MSD , I used fast`s dist. with their fuel inj. set up , had to grind the hillbilly hell out of the victor type head to get it to work , they use a chevy bigblock dist. w/ a mopar flat on the bottom of the shaft , way short .

I appreciate it guys.

Any of you have experience with Mallory unilite or the firecore distributors?

I do like the MSD brand, but they’re awfully proud of them.

Hey guys,

I’m going through the process of getting parts together for my build and I’ve read some have issues worth certain distributors clearing edelbrock heads, especially Victors.
Any that can share what works and what doesn’t, it’s greatly appreciated.

my build will be a 451 with Edelbrock 77919 gen 1 victors.

I’ve got a lead on a Mallory unilite 383, but wanted to confirm fitment first.

thanks for your input and experience.

Unilite will work, used one before switching to the stock lean-burn for the FiTech EFI.

Unilite will work, used one before switching to the stock lean-burn for the FiTech EFI.
Thanks for the reply 451.

Was the Mallory unilite good overall performance wise? For the price I can pick it up for, it and the firecore B race distributor are about the same.

It was just triggering my MSD 6AL. It does have an adjustable advance curve. Mine did not have vacuum advance.
The Distributor I had problems with was the FAST Dual Sync on the 440 (505 Stroker) in the convertible. Below the distributor, it tapers down to the shaft, and the tapered part was making contact with the 440 source stealth head. A grinder fixed that.

Victor MW heads on a 400 low deck block. I'll see if I have a photo when I get home.

Auto Transport Service
Back