• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Gen III Hemi and ZF8 Transmission Donor Vehicle for transplant?

65AFX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:48 PM
Reaction score
Thinking about putting a GEN III Hemi and 8 speed automatic in my 65 Coronet sedan. Thinking to buy a complete car (maybe wrecked) that runs and everything on the drive train works. I will use the complete wiring harness and computers. That way when I transplant it, I know it will run and shift without any issues. I believe it should be 2015 or newer. So what car or truck do I need? Would like a 5.7 that I can install a Hellcat super charger later on.

I love 5.7's and have a 2016 R/T.
Just so you can plan when you go to add the hellcat S/C, the 5.7 will need to be upgraded to forged parts(pistons, rods, crank) if not bad things happen quick.
IMO if you can afford it, get a 6.4 vs the 5.7.
The 5.7's are much more affordable then the 6.4 to purchase, but IF you can, afford it, you will thank be later.
Nothing wrong with a 5.7, as I said I have a 2016 R/T 5.7, (because I could not afford the 6.4) and I have a 5.7 short block I am going to build up.
The 6.4 is just a monster.
Also the new trans is a bitch to fit, and requires some torsion bar mods from what I have been told.
Good luck, with your build!!!
I cant wait to read about it:thumbsup:

I don't know if your really want that 8 speed auto I hated mine ended up getting rid of car because of it !
I have a 6.1 with a 5 speed auto much better but still want a 6 speed manual

read @Darius build thread before embarking on using the oem computers and wiring.
There's at least 1 stock 5.7 that was boosted and living above 600rwhp, over 700 now with the forged drop in kit. If you buy 2009+ you get eagle heads and better rods/pistons. If you buy 16+ truck you get no power steering provisions to work around (they have elec).
If you want to boost, 5.7 is plenty, no reason to spend double to get the 6.4. If you were NA, then maybe worth it.
you should seriously think about MS3 gold box or the like for ECU and Sound German trans controller.
The TF8 is 9" tall at the rear mount. Go measure a 727. Major tunnel reconstruction is needed.
If I were you I'd be looking at 16+ 2wd truck for the cheapest source.

Durango’s and JGC’s have them also.

Thinking about putting a GEN III Hemi and 8 speed automatic in my 65 Coronet sedan. Thinking to buy a complete car (maybe wrecked) that runs and everything on the drive train works. I will use the complete wiring harness and computers. That way when I transplant it, I know it will run and shift without any issues. I believe it should be 2015 or newer. So what car or truck do I need? Would like a 5.7 that I can install a Hellcat super charger later on.

I am currently doing a 5.7 Hemi build for my 65 Dodge hardtop... Stroker, not sure about supercharger or what, but I did plan to run the 8 speed trans. If all goes well, I will be doing the same to my 65 Dodge sedan. Keep me posted. 5.7 Hemi has been a big help.

I am doing a 5.7 4spd build on my 71 Charger. I researched this pretty hard, specifically the various engines and ended up buying a crate 5.7. I wanted a 6.4 but I just could not justify the cost; a 5.7 produces 375-390 stock, drop in a 392 cam and a set of valve springs and you are at about 450-465; plenty for the street IMO. I wanted an exceptionally reliable and drivable car but I also had to stay within a budget (available funds to be specific). The crate motor is a 2016+ car variant so it has the good heads, couple this with a MSD Hemi controller system and some good headers and you will have something you can literally drive every day.

I am doing a 5.7 4spd build on my 71 Charger. I researched this pretty hard, specifically the various engines and ended up buying a crate 5.7. I wanted a 6.4 but I just could not justify the cost; a 5.7 produces 375-390 stock, drop in a 392 cam and a set of valve springs and you are at about 450-465; plenty for the street IMO. I wanted an exceptionally reliable and drivable car but I also had to stay within a budget (available funds to be specific). The crate motor is a 2016+ car variant so it has the good heads, couple this with a MSD Hemi controller system and some good headers and you will have something you can literally drive every day.

Which trans did you use? Curious if you had any pics...

I am using a 833 but I am still in the planning stages. I have the engine and trans (and car) but I have not yet done anything with them because I have several other projects that I have to get done first.

Whatever you pick as a donor, do NOT think it is as simple as moving the entire wire harness over and it all "should work". IF you don't bring the tone rings and speed sensors on the rear axle also it will never work without a stand alone TCM. For that go to SoundGermanEngineering. This is if you intend to use that automatic. The 5.7 in my 70 GTX is bad ***.It ran a 13.7 . It will get me in all the trouble I don't want. I can't imagine what a beast it would be with a 392. At a 53/47% front to back weight distribution I have to be mindful of the cost of tires;-)

Auto Transport Service
Back