• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

best oil pan for INDY MAX 572 in a 66 B Body w/QA1 k Member Drag Week Style Build

2quick

Local time
6:22 PM
Reaction score
Currently Assembling a INDY MAX 572 for my 66 Satellite. Looking for the best possible wet sump oil pan with a QA1 K Member, Torsion bars and factory style steering. This is a stout street car and want to give this engine the absolute best possible oil pan for longevity and HP. Externaly oiled! I seen on enginemasters a really trick 2 piece style Moroso pan that actually extends beyond the pan rails with a built in screen but that was for a BBC. Anyone know of anything like this for a BBM?

What heads on that 540? I’m running INDY -1 345’s.

I have the Milodon road race pan w/ external pickup in my 66 Charger with 2-1/8"TTI headers and the QA1 k member. No clearance issues. The only thing i did notice is the QA1 motor mount locations moved the engine back 1/2". Hopefully you are using a motor plate!

What heads on that 540? I’m running INDY -1 345’s.
CNC ported 440-1s. I also own a 66 Belvedere II with a 493. I have a Moroso accumulator mounted on the inside of the firewall (no heater) plumbed into the oil galley port on the back of the block. It lets me prelube the motor every time I fire it up and protects from any oil pressure loss.
Mike

Last edited:
X2 on the Milodon road race pan. Holds 7 quarts plus whats in your filter. Part number # 31581, external pick up, 5 1/2" sump depth. part number. I have this pan on a 64' Polara with a RMS Alterkation .

Last edited:
I have an AlterKation K frame with coil overs. I am able to use a Milodon flat bottom 10 qt dragster/funny car pan and also run an Accusump on the street as well as strip. My trans pan actually hangs lower than my oil pan.

rsz_20160414_201144.jpg

rsz_20160414_201129.jpg

20150920_190437.jpg

rsz_20160713_164732_002.jpg

I have the Milodon road race pan w/ external pickup in my 66 Charger with 2-1/8"TTI headers and the QA1 k member. No clearance issues. The only thing i did notice is the QA1 motor mount locations moved the engine back 1/2". Hopefully you are using a motor plate!
did your pan have 2 bungs welded one for the oil line and then another on the other side,we just got ours and it only has the bung for the oil line,nothing on the other side of the pan,all the pics show one on each side

Beutifull setup, I cant run that pan cause i still use factory steering linkage that runs uder the pan.

Anyone use this with a QA1 crossmember? The Qa1 moves the engine back about an inch so not sure if centerlink will fit through the hole.

COMPETITION -
DRAG LINK TUBE, REAR SUMP​

Originally designed for Super Stock campaigners and today used on all Super Comp, Super Gas and bracket classes as well, this design moves the sump completely to the rear, where it should have been in the first place, and where the oil wants to go! Fits '65 and later chassis for all Wedge and Hemi engines. Pan and a Milodon oiling system will allow the 8500 RPM plus range. Uses a tie rod tube through which the drag link is inserted after engine installation. Minor drag link modification may be necessary due to frame, steering and engine mount misplacement or movement from stock.
Pan Capacity is 9 Qts. Plus Filter
8 1/4" Sump Depth
383, 400, 426, 44031470
Oil Pump and Pick-Up Required:
Oil System & Pump Shaft . . . . . . . . . . See Page 58-59
Windage Tray32000
Stroker Windage Tray32005
Oil Pan Gasket40700
31470.png
Allows 4.500" Stroke crank
WARNING
Prop 65 Warning

I have done several b body QA1 k's and all of them moved the engine back .5" which was evident at the transmission mount. I also make tube spacers to positively locate the k member on the bolts as it is a bit cloppy fitting. On a motor plate car I leave the stock motor mount locations intact for fore-aft limiter mounts.

To answer the question concerning bungs - yes, one on each side. Excellent for an oil temp sensor or turbo drainback port. Fwiw I have three identical pans of this p/n. Where and when did you purchase your pan out of curiosity?

If you haven't gotten headers yet for your combo, unless they will be custom made, order them uncoated. This will alleviate the stress of damaging the coating when you find there is a need for massaging of the units when you are fitting them up. I did this on mine. My units were from TTI for my specific combo but I figured there would be some minor issues and there were. They are almost squared away now, just have to cut in and weld the O2 bungs in. After that, coating time.

just called milodon,they quit putting the passenger side hole with threads on these pans,not enough people were using them,in the last year they made the change,so if yo have a pan with the threaded hole on the right side its older than that

Just a note re this pan . I have used one for several years and really like it . Never hit anything with it . In my 68 Satellite , and a 65 with later K , i had to trim a little at steering box mount . Also mine holds 8 1/2 qts with large Wix filter , same as ford . I use factory dipstick and tube , factory and world blocks . Not sure about indy drain back but with my TF270 heads when running 1/4 i have to add an extra 1/2- 1qt or i have a little dip in oil pressure @ about 1000ft fine in 1/8

Tex

Auto Transport Service
Back