• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best oil weight for hydraulic roller cam

Houle #382

Local time
9:31 PM
Reaction score
Just installed a hydraulic roller cam into my 440, I'm currently running 10W30 is this a good weight oil or should I go with something a little heavier like 10w40 or15 w40.

I've read multiple threads on this topic. In the end I run Bradd Penn 10- 40w in all 3 of my cars and I use the same filter the Black K&N without the nut on the end.

Just about any oil will work for the cam. Choose oil weight based on bearing clearances.

Some HR lifter manufacturers have fairly specific oil recommendations........... some don’t.
Best to get their feedback on it.

I replied to this thread yesterday but apparently it got deleted. Hyd rollers are very picky on oil. Here’s a link that gives you recommended oil viscosity for morel lifters. While these are for a Chevy it applies to all Hyd rollers. I’ve talked to Chris about it cause I’m building a big Chevy with a Hyd roller.

Straub Technologies

Good info thanks, I'm running 10W30 and it seems a little light but I did want something light to put some miles on it but wasn't sure just how heavy of a weight oil I could safely go with don't need any more issues than I already have had. Nothing with the Competition Components Hydraulic roller cam just ignition issues. The RT runs sooo much better.

Auto Transport Service
Back