• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best radiator flush?

Dibbons

Local time
6:48 PM
Reaction score
I haven't used a product to flush a radiator in years. What's out there these days that you can recommend? Thank you.

Radiator still in the car? There's several products out that should help but how good they are is something I can't really say. I've used them over the years and they seem to work but if the radiator is pretty bad and needs rodding out, they will not do you much good.

I would like to try the Cascade (how much?), but is the vinegar neutralizer rinse just vinegar from the kitchen cabinet or is that a store product?

Here's Evapo-Rust Thermocure rust remover, but mainly for the block.

This is gonna blow you away because it's really off the wall. The best flush additives without destroying any internal components is still pedaled by the big car manufacturers. Motocraft Engine Flush and GM's products are totally non destructive as is Chrysler's, clearly labeled for use and still environmentally friendly. They don't rot hoses, never damage aluminum components and clean cooling systems (especially rads) really well. If you've got aluminum heads or rads this stuff's for you. Let's face it, the Big boys don't shy away from taking ownership for their products with so many of their vehicles on the road. If GM, Ford and Chrysler use it in millions of their vehicles, you can bet it's good. Won't find it at O'Rielly's though.

Yatzee are you talking about the additives that are left in the system? Rust inhibitors.

I would use Motocraft's VC-9. It's designed for their Diesel cooling systems, and won't hurt anything. Good for removing rust and sylicate "Drop-out" from ethelene glycol anti freezez. Just make sure you flush it all out and use distilled water with whatever coolant you plan to use!

I would like to try the Cascade (how much?), but is the vinegar neutralizer rinse just vinegar from the kitchen cabinet or is that a store product?
The Cascasde trick requires 2 coffee cups worth. Do it twice. Then White Vinegar from Supermarket. The white vingar is like 2.00 per gallon and you need enough so ph is 7 when your done rinsing.. So figure 1/3 of a gallon to fill radiator/..

Auto Transport Service
Back