• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way of coverting from manual to power steering.. 1970 RR

jgnewhall

Local time
5:31 AM
Reaction score
My friend is going to be converting his 70 RR from manual to power steering. He is ready to do it now. What is the best way to accomplish this? Any kits out there to do this ? He does not have A/C . Any additional advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank You . John

Get a p/s gearbox and pump........then install it.

Doing exactly the same thing to my '70. Got a factory setup at a swap meet. The inner shaft in the column can be tapped in to shorten it.

Get everything from a donor car with a similar engine. Chasing down all the parts can be daunting.

Yes you have to shorten the steering column or change to one from a PS car and as mentioned you need the PS sector, pump, bracket, and also the PS hose.

C bodies and versions made after a certain year have a diff input shaft diameter and I think the body might be longer.

And probably want to consider using a firm feel unit .. you will want one from an A, B, or E body.

I converted my 67 Belvedere from Manual to power steering.
I ordered a firm feel power steering box and pump from firm feel, I also had them powder coat the box and supply the high pressure hose and return.
I ordered the correct pulleys from here:
http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/engine_pulleys
I put a Want to Buy add on these forums to get correct pump reservoir and pump core and pump brackets.
I also purchased complete power steering column with correct length column shaft from Ebay, it was fairly cheap.
I rebuilt steering column while i had it out ..

Nobody mentioned a belt to drive the pump pulley, your gonna need that too.:hello2:

Hmmmm. Does this mean that if I were going to go the other way, and switch from power steering to manual, that I will have to somehow LENGTHEN my steering column?

You are gonna need some power steering fluid! And some wrenches! You asked for more detail. :happy8:

yes you will, Sir! Manual steering column is longer. There are adaptors around, but I try to find an original if I can.

There are a couple of companies that build an adapter to convert from power to manual steering. Firm Feel I know has one.

You guys left of the bolts to mount the pump, brackets, and power steering gear box to the motor and K member.

440 source has brakets and hardware, fan belt etc for adding a power steering pump. There are a number of other companies that make fancier brackets etc which cost a little more. You might consider a Borgseen power steering box. They give more of a rack and pinion feel to the steering. If you call Bergman auto craft they can set you up with the box hose fitting and kit to mount box to steering shaft. Very knowageble people. I read a lot of good things about them and their converstion. I just got the box from them and am waiting for the hoses and other hardware which should be arriving any day. One thing I read on was to use a synthetic power steering fluild if you work the system pretty hard. I read about a guy with a 65 plymouth that did the conversion and uses the car for road courses and found he needed to change to the synthetic fluid as the other stuff was boiling.

Oh yeah, the Borgseen will be more expensive than going to a regular p/s box....but better.

Bruce

Auto Transport Service
Back