• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best weather stip cement? For trunk weather strip

minnesota guy

Local time
7:24 AM
Reaction score
HI, IS THE BLACK 3M WEATHER STRIP ADHESIVE WHAT EVERYONE IS USING? hOW ABOUT THE THE 1.99 WEATHER STRIP CEMENT-THAT IS CLEAR?

FOR THE 69 GTX TRUNK WEATHER STRIP.

THANKS....JEFF

I've used the black stuff and it really didn't harden up completely. The 3M yellow adhesive hardens in about a minute. Problem is it's yellow, and if you're not precise you'll see the yellow. glue.jpg

That yellow "gorilla snot" is the one I most often see used in magazine articles.

I am pretty sure you can get the 3M in clear. If a little squeezes out from under the trim-you won't notice it...........................MO

I used the yellow stuff for the trunk. I personally don't care about how the factory did things but when I tore the old trunk weatherstrip off it had what appeared to be yellow adhesive as well and was crudely put on anyway with adhesive coming out the sides of the weatherstrip. Either one will work just fine and if you've never installed a trunk weatherstrip before go get yourself some clothes line wooden clips, they will be your best friend.

Black 3M and I used clothes pins solid all the way around the trunk gasket for 24 hrs till it was set.

3M - 8001 Super Weatherstrip Adhesive - they don't call it yellow death for nothing! LOL - It works like a contact cement - get it on both surfaces - pull it apart and then give it a few - put it back together, make sure you have it where you want it - it locks together - may give you a little wiggle room, but it'll lock together and hold! Your weatherstrips will not come off using this - it's good stuff. I've ran across valve cover gaskets that were put on with this stuff - argh!!!!

Color doesn't matter (except for matching the weatherstrip color), there are a couple types that 3M makes. I wish I had them here to confirm the part #'s but here's what I found out. I purchased the 3M black adhesive for my seals along the back of the door glass and had so so results, when I was installing the trunk seal I read the directions (I know, hard to believe) and it called for a specific part #. A trip to the parts store confirmed that there was a Super Strength adhesive, same container, same colors just a different # so it matters. It worked allot better (it was yellow but comes in black as well). Found some pics, notice the difference in the labels "SUPER".[ATTACH=CONFIG]187553[/ATTACH]thCAE0TFBY.jpg

Attachments

• thCAO3BJ6R.jpg
    thCAO3BJ6R.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 158
Color doesn't matter (except for matching the weatherstrip color), there are a couple types that 3M makes. I wish I had them here to confirm the part #'s but here's what I found out. I purchased the 3M black adhesive for my seals along the back of the door glass and had so so results, when I was installing the trunk seal I read the directions (I know, hard to believe) and it called for a specific part #. A trip to the parts store confirmed that there was a Super Strength adhesive, same container, same colors just a different # so it matters. It worked allot better (it was yellow but comes in black as well).

Sort of makes you wonder why they bother to package 'So So Strength' adhesive in the first place.

Auto Transport Service
Back