• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beware this guy and his car rant

old_skool

Local time
5:31 PM
Reaction score
I've been watching craigslist for Mopars in general, either for cars to flip or keep, or even post here somewhere for others to benefit from. One in particular happened to be another 72 charger, looks a little rough, so it's to be expected, I watched his price drop from$4000, to $3500 to $2800, it has been listed for several months, I'll give him a call and get more details(none in the ad) seemed pleasant enough and desperate to rid of it, needs the space for his landscape equipment and doesn't have time for it. He describes the body as being solid with a few exceptions, some typical rust in the quarters, some small amount in the lower fender area.....hmmmm, looked worse in the picture, asked about the firewall, as it seemed to be rusted also from the picture, he assured me it wasn't, so I assume picture deception, states interior is perfect....except a small tear in the headliner, and one small dash rip(this description becomes a pattern) new battery and box on the firewall....? After a few questions, determined the box was the electronic module, then he proceeds to say it's not electronic ignition but has points...I can clearly see the module in another pic, doesn't know much about the car or cars in general, this is all from the phone call...so, I figure it might be worth a look, and he dropped his price to $2400 over the phone...desperation....or something else? I get to his house, tiny place, even worse, is the garage, it can't be much bigger than the car itself if it's in there, the pics showed it outside, in front of the garage is a large BBQ grill and a landscaping trailer and it started to rain lightly...not good, we head to the garage, opens the door, there it is, under a partial tarp with stuff piled on it....here's where it goes to hell fast, immediately states "I'm not pulling it out unless your a serious buyer, flips back the tarp in a few places, opens the passenger door,(only one you can get to, and manages the hood open, even though the car is smashed tight against junk and the back of the garage, you cannot see the front at all. He proclaims "too many tire kickers" I'm a little tiffed, but politely state, I'm sorry you had so many "tire kickers" trying to sound empathetic, but I drove over 45 miles to look at it and assured him I was interested, and even owned one the same year, in the garage the first thing I see, is the rear quarter is toast, will need cut out completely, no fixing it, can't see the roof but can tell a little from trying to lift the tarp, it's rusty as well as below the rear window, hmmm, may have had a vinyl roof at one time, paint will need taken down to bare metal, has had several paint jobs, all peeling on top of each other, the passenger door barely opens/closes as the hinges are rusted, I look inside with my flashlight, the dash is cracked in multiple locations from one end to the other, the headliner is shredded, the front bench seat is torn, already seriously disappointed, I should have left, I pushed on, I let him know his interior description was a little less than accurate, right front fender had a 20# chunk of bondo hanging from it, showing a 1 foot square gaping hole, under the hood, rusted bad to include the firewall, now I'm getting a little upset, and asked why he said it wasn't....his reply..."if the car was in better shape I'd be asking 5-6 grand for it, I said that has nothing to do with it's current state nor how he described it, his voice highly elevated and agitated "what do you think it's worth then....?" I said, I didn't come here to argue with you, I'm not interested any further, and won't be making any offer, as I started to leave, he was yelling about what I don't know, said he didn't have to sell it, I know what these are worth, yada yada yada, I kept walking, got in my Jeep and left.
So, if you persue this car, expect a parts car, a liar, and the owner to have no knowledge of the car, said it was his first Charger, but tried describing flaws as typical for this car, my opinion, he bought it on body shape, was enamored at first, then reality set in, and he probably paid too much himself, and everyone up to now has told him so, hence his aggravation.

00C0C_gkGArPrWfJ_600x450_zps87ca15d4.jpg

pictures look way better than in person

link to ad--->http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/4474201632.html

- - - Updated - - -

edit, it might be an SE, as it had the little signals on top of the fenders, also said it was an AC car, but no compressor. Didn't look to what else was missing, and the car doesn't run, and no history on the trans.

- - - Updated - - -

second edit; don't know if this guy would get violent, but in his front window, was a sign, we don't call 911 around here, and a picture of a gun pointing towards any who reads the sign.

GRRRRRR ! this kinda deal sucks I had a very similar experience earlier this year!:eusa_doh: craigslist deal to called talked to the guy says the floors on car were really good just need 1 spot fixed I get their pull the carpet back and it looks like swiss cheese needs a totally new floor so right away im not interested but if I would have been he had the car up on jack stands with the front end tore apart I would of had to spend half a day putting it back together just to load it up !!! PISSED ME OFF I CAME WITH TRAILER TO AS HE SAID IT WAS A ROLLER !!:angryfire:

That sucks...I do a lot of dealings on craigslist and run into this all the time. Doesn't matter what you are buying, theres always a portion of the populace that will misrepresent it. What I don't get is what do they think is going to happen when someone comes to look at it in person?

By the way, the same people that misrepresent it always react the same way...they try to same that "that damage is common" then they get upset when you point out why it is different than the description...Douchebags

I bought my other 72 from Craigs, totally opposite experience, very honest guy, we were about the same age, grew up in the same stomping grounds, did more BS-ing than talking about the car, I ended up with a less than perfect car, but knew what I was getting, and at a fair price. So, some craigs experiences aren't always crap, but a lot are, the guy above was a lot younger and had a real attitude from the get go. Tried making me feel like I was putting him out.

Yesterday I picked up a 440 Forged Crank Shaft that I happened to stumble across on Craigslist out here in Nth. CA. Actually I found 2 of them. This was Friday afternoon. The first one was a real ear popping experience. I followed the sellers request on how to get in touch with him and called between the requested time. After 2 minutes, this clown had the Balls to say I was trying to get him down in price without having seen the Crank in person. Pictures do not tell the whole story. This guys Crank Shaft was a NOS virgin and from the pics looked really good. But after him trying to tell me this and that, and how my requested time to meet up wasn't any good and that if I really wanted it, then to be there at 7:00 am yesterday. Well Saturdays are my day for cleaning up things around here so I politely declined and wished him well in his Sale. What came out of his mouth I dare not repeat for I would surely be sentenced to a lengthy "Time Out." So bid him a good evening and hung up. Next thing I know the phone starts ringing and by my caller ID I see it is this Clown. The answering machine picked up and he proceeded to berate me to no end. I had to laugh but I didn't pick up. After about 3 minutes, he hung up, and I moved on to the next seller that had caught my attention. This guy was really pleasant and had quite a bit of info on Mopar parts and his Dart he just finished. So...We agreed to a time to meet and the rest is History. Bought the Crank from him and talked some bench racing and his Dart by the way is fantastic. Seems he and our fellow FBBO member Darius are good friends. Small world. So...Craigslist can be a great place to transact business in both selling and buying once you get past the BS and Poser Clowns. The stuff I have gotten from Craigslist has been in really good shape and at reasonable pricing. Just have to weed out the RIF RAF and Dregs that seem to infect the site. A good day and now a forged Crank to swap out with the Cast Crank that came with the 440 block I got for FREEEEEEEEE!!!!!!:sideways tongue::sideways tongue::sideways tongue::sideways tongue::blob1::blob1::blob1::blob1::blob1:

I knew the condition was bad from when I saw the car on craigslist, it looks like it has been sitting for a while. You can tell the condition is bad, from the paint peel around the body

I knew the condition was bad from when I saw the car on craigslist, it looks like it has been sitting for a while. You can tell the condition is bad, from the paint peel around the body

I knew it wasn't in great shape going in, but the things I couldn't see, made me believe by his description(over the phone not the ad) led me think it might still be a candidate to save if the money was right, never got to discussing the money. Some people are just miserable with life I guess, wait till most of their life is over and they reflect back, either way, won't affect how my steak taste or how good my chilled beer goes down!

Not that I'm interested but some out there may be thinking about this one. great investigating there Old

I think we're fast approaching the point where we're going to be seeing two things. The first is lots of guys taking serious hits on cars they bought at the peak of the muscle car frenzy and that they paid too much for. Compounding that issue is the second thing, which is we're seeing more and more barn and garage finds that aren't actually found so much as owners have been sitting on them forever and hoping their value would just keep going up and up. Now that prices are tanking, they're putting these out on the market as barn finds, which is further increasing the supply and making it harder for folks to make back the money they spend on these cars.

That's why now when I go look at stuff listed on CL, I agree with the seller that their price is fair... for five or six years ago, but not any more. That Charger was a $3k car five years ago, but is an $800 car today, and the longer he sits on it the lower that value is going to go.

I had a good experience with mine the guy was a chevy guy but he loved old cars so he bought it at an auction and brought it home and left it on the trailer few months later he listed it on CL and i went up and looked it over everything seemed to check out ok I was happy because it was what the guy said it would be a project which I expected it to be i have had some success on craigslist with cars and some that just flat out were horrible you just have to weed though the junk to find the diamond

My experience with CL isn't real good either. I quit looking at it and ebay too. I called on several things on CL made a deal 3 different times 3 different people just to have the sellers tell me when I arrive that he sold the item to some one else. 3 times I drive 25 to 30 miles one way and come back empty. I know your pain for sure and I have made good deals on there before but this last time was the last time for me. Funny how some people have very different opinions on what is good condition , like new and the like lol. It is limited but I only deal with people on these type of sites so far with good luck.

If i can't sell it to a member here on the forum i guess i will just have to keep it. I sold a lathe on Craig's list once and the buyer was a ok guy but some of the other calls were out there.

I went to look at a 65' Chevelle before I found my satellite and turned into a mopar nut. On the phone he stated it was 100% rust free cali car and didn't need any work as he'd just had it painted and tuned up. It was slightly out of my price range so I asked a couple times about price on the phone as I didn't want to waste either of our time. He insisted I needed to see it in person and we could talk about it then. My dad and I drove down to see it about an hour away. Only to find out it wasn't rust free he took it to maaco, they painted over the rusted out quarters and bondo, There was overspray all over the windows and chrome. IT was a Cali car before he moved to Jersey in the 80's. Somewhat interested still I had him start it, sounded like the valves ticking real bad so I asked him were the valves adjusted when he did the tune up the other day. Oh no they just changed the oil... Really annoyed now, I asked him the price stating again I didn't have the 9500 he was asking like I explained on the phone I brought 8500 hundred but said I couldn't pay even that with the amount of work it needs naming a list of stuff. He got angry and said it didn't need a damn thing and if I didn't have the money that I shouldn't have came to look.

Like old_school said, some people are just miserable in life. Whenever I sell stuff I'm honest because I know how much of a pain it can be in a situation like that. Quite a few years ago I wanted a late 70's firebird something bad. I won the auction on eBay for a 1978 Firebird with a 400 and automatic. The pictures were grainy but the car looked pretty decent. Just to be sure before I bid, I emailed the seller and asked about the overall condition about the car, how does it run, engine noises, what was the interior like, any rust on the frame rails or the body. I was told that the car had absolutely no rust, interior was complete and in okay shape for a driver, and that the motor used no oil and made no sounds. A buddy and I drove 3 hours to get the car, and when we got there it was not in the shape described. The rear quarters and fenders were rusted out. The car was running when I got there, so who knows what they had to go through to start it. The motor had a ticking noise, and the exhaust was blue. When I opened the door the interior smelled absolutely terrible and I had to shut it, not to mention it was missing the shifter, shift plate, one door panel was gone, and there were wires hanging out from under the dash all over the place. Needless to say, I was pretty disappointed after driving 3 hours thinking I got a decent car. So I walked away from it, and the lady selling the car was not very happy with me.

old_skool, I read that add last fall, and thought the same things. He better seek a good psychiatrist, and get on something to curb his anger.

Auto Transport Service
Back