• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Bidness' news channel says the majority is now mortgage free.....

I have been very lucky.
My folks paid off the mortgage on the 1950 house they bought in socal in 1970, Then built another garage, and doubled the size of the house. My grandparents bought a house outright, in 1960 in a small college town in socal, when they moved from Denver.
I inherited both, and bought my house in Arizona with cash.
I've never had a mortgage, or rent, in 70 years.

Our home is paid for. Has been for awhile.
We have one rental property with 6 yrs left on it. I have had a few offers on it , but damn that's were my 30x50 Morton is and the place has cash flowed since day 1.

So, while the idea of the majority being mortgage free sounds great & for those of us who own our homes is great..... Part of those mortgage free majority aren't home owners at all.... They are renters without the security home ownership provides...
I have rental properties and two of them still have small mortgages. They are in my name, but I consider them the tenant's debt because THEY MAKE THE PAYMENTS! To think that rental properties operate without leverage is fallacy, and is overlooked by many.

I've said that paying your house off is easy. I've done it 3 times! Seriously, in my world, leveraging assets to buy more assets is how I operated for over 20 years. I would accumulate enough cash to buy a house, usually on the courthouse steps, and remodel it, then when I sold it, ALL of the money went back to the bank, including our primary mortgage when possible. When I bought a tank of gas or a bag of groceries, I'd borrow it back. Once the mortgage was paid off, I established a 1st position LOC so I could draw out my equity as working capital. I never got greedy and expanded beyond my means. I always had plan A, B, C, D and E (borrow from Mom). I never had to implement Plan E. When real estate took a dump in 07, 08, my debt was low enough to just hunker down and service it. That's when I picked up the rentals for cash flow to keep me whole.

Friends would tell me I was living the life and that they'd love to do what I was doing. When I asked them if they could manage several hundred thousand dollars in shifting debt and maybe only one paycheck a year they weren't so interested.

Yes, I am mortgage and debt free now, other than the 2 rental mortgages that I don't pay out of pocket, and life is good! My plan worked and I mostly made the right moves. Real estate is the number one get rich slow scheme that I know of.

Last edited:
Probably need to clarify how I paid mine down quicker.....I didn't double my monthly payment but paid the regular payment...ie, paid 1/2 of the payment every two weeks and added 50 bucks per payment. My credit union actually told me that and showed me how the interest accumulated during the month and paying every two weeks would pay the house off faster even if I paid the same amount during the year....and adding in 100 bucks a month would put the mortgage on target for a 15 year pay off.
Hey bro - 65 a d over discount in TX? Never heard that. Could you pls explain how and where it works. Im mostly interested in the outer hill country area - not Austin but still that area where it’s conservative.
Seems each county and city has their own program going so you should contact the county/counties that you think you might move to to see what they have. The city I live in cuts the water bill in 1/2 for 65 or over too and also does the break on property taxes....likewise on school tax and for me, I pay to a different city for that lol.
Hey the snubber will not fit my Dana 60 rear end. Too narrow. It appears to be for a 8 3/4 rear instead of a Dana.
Man, thought you wanted one for an 8 3/4. And well, don't have a Dana snubber....and if I did, it certainly wouldn't be as cheap as the 8 3/4 snubber was. Need to take this to PM's.

Probably need to clarify how I paid mine down quicker.....I didn't double my monthly payment but paid the regular payment...ie, paid 1/2 of the payment every two weeks and added 50 bucks per payment. My credit union actually told me that and showed me how the interest accumulated during the month and paying every two weeks would pay the house off faster even if I paid the same amount during the year....and adding in 100 bucks a month would put the mortgage on target for a 15 year pay off.
By paying every two weeks, you are also adding a 13th payment to the year in addition to the interest savings on early payments and the extra principal added to the payments. 52 / 2 = 26 payments = 13 months.

Seems each county and city has their own program going so you should contact the county/counties that you think you might move to to see what they have. The city I live in cuts the water bill in 1/2 for 65 or over too and also does the break on property taxes....likewise on school tax and for me, I pay to a different city for that lol.
I looked into the senior discount in my county and it has a low-income requirement. With my wife working we don't qualify. Once she retires - we won't qualify.

Mine has been paid off for several years now. It's a 4 bedroom, 2 bath home. We've had several people very close to us tell us we should get a bigger home. This one is already too big for us as empty nesters and we don't want another mortgage payment. We're good. Our cabin on 20 acres up in the woods is payment free also. So, we're good.
Terry W.
It's pretty simple really.... If you like the person your married to you don't need much space to be happy.... If you don't like that person you can't afford a house that's big enough...

By paying every two weeks, you are also adding a 13th payment to the year in addition to the interest savings on early payments and the extra principal added to the payments. 52 / 2 = 26 payments = 13 months.

I looked into the senior discount in my county and it has a low-income requirement. With my wife working we don't qualify. Once she retires - we won't qualify.
Right! to the first part......and don't recall being asked what my income was. At the time I was still making some money but had been retired since I was 55. Hard to believe it's going on 18 years ago!

Agree on the 13th payment.

Also, for most lenders, you must specify any additional amount be applied to the principal, or they automatically apply it to the interest.
How thoughtful of them :upyours:

Our state/county has a double exemption homestead plus a senior exemption.
I don't think any kind of income restriction is associated to the senior exemption.

I've only ever borrowed money from my mom once. $500 in the form of my first Coronet.

My wife came from abject poverty, and I came from borderline poverty- right at the line at the time.

We both learned from others how NOT to manage money, and personal affairs.

Occasionally, her brother will talk about finances and real estate (he got a mobile home rental in a divorce), but never, NEVER listens to our advice.
He is personally involved with the tenant, letting them make decisions and relay information with contractors, and has them help with his other projects.
Big, fat "no-no" in our book, then he complains about them and threatens to evict them.

Our first piece of advice- "get a budget, so you can see exactly what's coming in and what's going out...and what's left over".
As of about 5 years, still does not have one, and won't answer the question when we ask.

Last edited:
House got paid off two years ago. Both my car and my ZTR mower get paid off this month. Looking to retire in April 2024. Assuming **** doesn't implode by then, it'll be nice to sleep in. Or go fishing at 4:30am on a Tuesday. Or, go out to the shop and actually get **** done!!!

Planned retirement is 1 Oct, 2025, at age 58.

If I can afford insurance.

Primary residence should be paid off a couple months before then.

No mortgage here thank God ... but had to endure Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath to do it.
Stayed for Ike.....not sure I want to do that again though. That was a long night but no damage except for roof gutters and loose stuff. The storm made a huge mess though with tree limbs down and live oak leaves covered everything. After everyone was done cleaning up, the street was basically a one lane road with huge piles of brush all along both sides.

Been in FL since 88.

I don't remember any direct hits here in my area until 2004.

Four that year and three since.

Retired in 2013, at that time only liked 2 payments on my home. 15 year mortgage paid off in 13. Nice to have lots of Mopar $$.:bananaweed:

Been in FL since 88.

I don't remember any direct hits here in my area until 2004.

Four that year and three since.
Ike was the last major storm that hit the upper Texas Gulf coast....and was surprised that last hurricane season was so quiet after all the hype the weather guessers gave it.

Ike was the last major storm that hit the upper Texas Gulf coast....and was surprised that last hurricane season was so quiet after all the hype the weather guessers gave it.
If a mechanic was wrong as often as "weathermen" they would be unemployed...

If a mechanic was wrong as often as "weathermen" they would be unemployed...
And don't know why they even do a 10 day forecast.....the 3 day one is hardly ever right unless there's a high pressure dome over us.

And constantly have to pay that monthly rent till they die. Many are happy with that.
or burdened with being poor, that & have no choice,
or they are on welfare &/or they are section 8, they don't qualify
&/or on the govt. dole/subsidies for life, more govt. cash
we paid it for them...
or no $$$ saved, because the economy sucks *** for poor shitty dwellers
expensive to live in that concrete jungle, living like lab rats
on the big new deal (it started with FDR, then Truman) "big experiment"
to get everyone to own a house, after the war, more taxes for the county & state
(the people were different then)

It took years/decades to get the banking/loan regs changed
because it was not right, actualy it was stupid ****,
they/Banks were left out on the limb
or buyers "many not able to get enough equity/cash to have 20% down",
to "actually have some $$ skin in the game", to protect both parties
& 20% down not have to pay PMI's (Property mortgage Insurance)
or to have their payments, 'to add up to, less than 38% of your net income'
IIRC

(family niece, nephew, older sister/her 2 kids, all in the Mortgage brokerage business,
none of them are today either, all lost their asses, walked away, 2007-09
)

It's not 1993 "where everyone should be able to own a house",
the rules were changed, the banks were stupid & left unprotected (eventually)
thanks Slick Willy...
took about 10 years of that **** to blow up in their proverbial faces

Some people are destined to be renters,
some are destined to be landlords or owners with income

(unless you were in the military now, GI Bill with 0% down,
good thing, they earned it
)

They cried/yelled it from the roof tops,
for about 10-15 years, under both leaderships
& doubled down in Jan 2009,
after too big too fail, completely & utterly "FAILED
we bailed them all out, our taxes paid for it
& that's when the predatory loans were prevailing too

Come on down, we'll give ya 0% down, $250k house
$0 down & no closing or real estate costs,
hell we'll carry them in the loan too (triple that cost, in the term of the loan)
don't worry everyone deserves 'to own a home' :jackoff:
no matter if they can 'actually afford it or not' :realcrazy:
& then a huge %15-20% balloon payment in 5 or 10 years :blah:
the people signed up for, that they will never be able to afford,
& foreclosures were all over the place/rampant...

some got in at 5% down & did well too, they paid their mortgage
some had to refinance some 10 or years later too
not all but some

Wallys $1.25
Wall of text -bob the builder-.jpg

I have been very lucky.
My folks paid off the mortgage on the 1950 house they bought in socal in 1970, Then built another garage, and doubled the size of the house. My grandparents bought a house outright, in 1960 in a small college town in socal, when they moved from Denver.
I inherited both, and bought my house in Arizona with cash.
I've never had a mortgage, or rent, in 70 years.
Old fashion way, you inherited it, old money works too...

Auto Transport Service
Back