• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blk and Red wires on the AMP gauge?

Auggie56

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:12 PM
Reaction score
Removed the cluster sometime ago, just can't recall which wire goes to each terminal. There is an odd cymbal in blue next to one terminal, that looks like a mushroom. My 67' factory manual doesn't show it either, just your typical drawing of a box with the two wires going to it.

Don't know if this helps... but schematics of my 66 Charger shows alternator gauge with the red wire coming from the bulkhead connector and black wire going to the welded junction for "battery power" to ignition switch, headlamp switch, and battery feed to fuse block. You got a 50/50 chance on being correct. If wired backwards I would expect it to indicate backwards since it's a polarity / magnetic driven device. IE. If you turned on the headlights it should indicate a discharge not charge.

Any I've looked at say Red and Black.. that said... my 66. Red is Passenger side..
1966plysathp2pt9 004.jpg

Last edited:
My 67 shows RED on one side and the other has a symbol, which might be what you see as a mushroom.

20230808_181053.jpg

Last edited:
The black wire is going to the alternator to feed it.

Auto Transport Service
Back