• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bolting up HP Exhaust Manifolds?

HawkRod

Formerly hsorman
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:18 PM
Reaction score
OK, this may be a stupid question, but here goes...

I removed the old C-body exhaust manifolds from my 70 Road Runner with a 383. There are currently studs in place at each location. I am now in the process of bolting up correct HP exhaust manifolds, but they have deep well holes in some spots that swallow the stud. There is not enough room to put a socket down in the hole.

Do the stock exhaust manifolds use bolts rather than studs in some locations? What is the proper method to fasten them at these "deep well" location?

Thanks,

Hawk

(The below attached pictures are not my application, but give the general idea.)

Exhaust_Manifold.jpg
Exhaust_Manifold2.jpg

Did it have the 'log' style manifolds before? If so, that may be the problem. IIRC, the log style has a thinner head flange. Compare them to what you have now. If they are the same, get a longer stud.

The deep holes take the long barrel nuts as stated above. All the studs in your heads should be fine.

One quick note and I learned this one the hard way...if you're replacing the studs put hi-temp thread sealant on the studs before screwing them in as they go right into the water jacket and you'll have a nice stream of coolant (which is why I test fired my engine with only water) running down the side of the block...but I did get my exhaust manifold bolts from Mancini and they were great to deal with...

Dave

Looks like he has the long barrel nuts on it but it's the end studs that are not long enough......??

The problem is that I don't have the long barrel nuts. These are what I was unaware of, and I am missing.

I will have to check the length of the studs, but hopefully they are OK...

Thanks for the help! This solves my dilemma - it was just lack of knowledge for what was needed. Unfortunately, these are not available at a local hardware store, so I will have to order them...

Yeah, but even so, the wrong length stud is still on #7.....

Cranky, sorry for any confusion. These were a couple of quick pictures I found via an internet search. I was just trying to show the deep holes in one picture and the other picture I thought was a long bolt of some kind. The link showing the long barrel nuts was the "holy grail" information that I needed.

Now my dilemma is that hooking up the exhaust manifold to my Pypes exhaust is turning out to be a pain in the arse. Looks like one of the only reasonable ways is to go through TTI and buy their headpipes at $183. When you add shipping, long barrel nuts and other BS details I may need we are talking like $250.

I tried to look into making my own headpipes, but finding pieces is not easy, and the pipes are %$#! expensive too. When you factor in my newbie welding skills, this is probably not a great idea.

Since I am ultimately most likely going to put headers on the car, it seems silly to fork out $250 for something I am going to take back off - and I am not made of money either. So maybe I bite the bullet and just buy the TTI headers now?

Nothin' is ever easy... :angryfire:

Auto Transport Service
Back