• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bolts and fasteners

BigFlo

Local time
10:38 PM
Reaction score
This may have been covered many times. I’ve searched here on several forums and not found what I’m looking for. I’ve got a 65 Belvedere sedan and have the FSM which doesn’t have this info.
Are there any reference materials that show which size bolts are used in specific locations throughout the vehicle? Various size bolts (and their captive washers) are used for body panels, internal use, etc.
Has anyone purchased the 1965 Plymouth Body Assembly Manual that I found online?
If so, is it legible?

8C69AFD7-C7A6-4604-A47B-9F7C6AE647C3.png

Last edited:
I would have to believe you mean 1965 not 1975, verbiage states 1975.

fastener guide listed only goes back to 1966 model year, not sure how much fasteners may have changed given the new sheet metal in 1966.

Good Luck.

https://shop.mmcdetroit.com/products

In the old factory parts manuals, there was one section devoted to fasteners. Showed sizes, types and some other stuff. It did not list locations. Sometimes in the rest of the book, it would give size reference for a given spot but again, not always. The majority of the time, if they were even included in the various groups, it was by part number and sometimes quantity only. This is how it was done in later years in the manuals. Sometimes we had to call Mopar, the company not your local dealer which is where I worked, to get the information and the part number for the item as it was not listed. Even then sometimes you got nothing. Since I was a parts guy and sometimes helped put the inventory away, I could find workable solutions just by going through the bins where I knew fasteners were.

I have found over the years that when the designated fastener bin on the assembly line was empty, anything close would hold panels together. Got to get those cars out the door!
Mike

Typo in my first post - it’s a 65.
Thanks for the replies. I get what you are saying - ‘use what fits’.
Putting all of the fasteners in a fishing tackle box with labels for where they came from only works if you don’t drop the box and stuff flies everywhere. Ask me how I know…

Can’t tell ya how much time I spent hunting down fastners, clips, etc. when restoring my ’63. There are some nifty places selling this stuff; but made the incorrect purchase more than once. Well there weren’t any reps that could tell you what you didn’t already know. As posted yep, I came to figure the assemblers maybe used what the eff was left in the supply bins that ‘worked’. Most frustrating were trim clips such as a few on the car that were really odd unable to find. Then come to find out the trim fastners used on some pieces of trim would work perfectly and which I had on some spare trim! I’m kind a nit-picky when using screws/bolts that all match not wanting to need 4 and one doesn’t match even if it fits. Many trips to a large-local hardware store well-stocked with this stuff for mating. Got to the point where I could have had my mail sent there…

If I remember correctly the factory sheet metal manual listed bolts by size . Just had to follow the footnotes. Now description of trim clips it did not have.

This may have been covered many times. I’ve searched here on several forums and not found what I’m looking for. I’ve got a 65 Belvedere sedan and have the FSM which doesn’t have this info.
Are there any reference materials that show which size bolts are used in specific locations throughout the vehicle? Various size bolts (and their captive washers) are used for body panels, internal use, etc.
Has anyone purchased the 1965 Plymouth Body Assembly Manual that I found online?
If so, is it legible?

View attachment 1196159

I know I am late to this thread, however, this info may be helpful to someone in the future if searching for fasteners and bolts, etc. I have found AMK Fasteners in Winchester, VA to be quite helpful and stocks many original fasteners, etc. Ask for one of their catalogs for Bulk Fasteners and Fastener Kits.

Auto Transport Service
Back