• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bondo Advice?

Depending on how much use the car gets and were it lives will determine how long a cave and pave job will last.
Short answer is yes you can ding in those areas and fill with a short stand fiber glass filler , top coat with regular filler.
Rust belt states , high humidity areas you will get a couple summers before it bubbles out.
Dry south west areas prob a year or so longer.
Rust never stops. Here in the midwest there are some real bondo artists.

O.K., but the previous owners job has gone 30 years.

O.K., but the previous owners job has gone 30 years.
Your car.... fix it as you will. Its cool you know the history that far back on the car. I'm near retirement another year and half and I'm out of the body shop biz.
Good luck on the repair.

Your car.... fix it as you will. Its cool you know the history that far back on the car. I'm near retirement another year and half and I'm out of the body shop biz.
Good luck on the repair.

I've had it that long. It should have been fixed decades ago but other things kept coming up.

I've got the typical rusted quarter panels that need to be patched, and they eventually will be. For the time being, I want to try improving the bondo job the previous owner did 30 years ago. I've lived with it this long, I can live with it a little longer and put the money saved into go-fast parts.

I've got a few holes like this one -

View attachment 1340285

Can this be bridged with fiberglass bondo alone, or does it need a mesh support under it? How thick should the bondo be?

I've also got this mess -

View attachment 1340288View attachment 1340293

It's all going to be replaced, so no need for perfection. Just a reasonable amount of improvement.
cut ....weld in new...paint....finish later.

Can't weld. Might pick it up when building 4.0 is done. Building 3.0 isn't wired for it.

I've got some of the U-POL adhesive. Let's just say I reserve the right to go that route, but I know what's going to happen if I do - it's going to expand to include trunk floor extensions, and then I'm going to get the full mushroom cloud when I "might as well do mini-tubs while I'm in there."

SEM patch panel adhesive

if it's like the norton stuff, it's water proof and corrosion resistant.......I use the 5 minute and mix it like body filler.....use it to fill the holes, it will last a long time.......I always have it on my bench, it's good for all kinds of stuff

if it's like the norton stuff, it's water proof and corrosion resistant.......I use the 5 minute and mix it like body filler.....use it to fill the holes, it will last a long time.......I always have it on my bench, it's good for all kinds of stuff
Patch it up and move on. It’ll probably outlast you.
To add to it- because people who don’t know cringe at this- a lot of new aluminum cars are held together with self-piercing rivets and glue….

Auto Transport Service
Back