• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boosted 400 block strength?

This Volare runs a Gen 3 Hemi. Been low 5's in the 1/8
400 block at 800-900 hp = cracked main webs.
We've run well over 800 hp with a stock 360 block.
Doug

Paul Baker Volare.jpg

I’ve got a TF headed steel crank 400 going together to put in my roadrunner with the twin 76s. It’s making 1200+ whp now with the hemi. We’ll see how the wedge combo does.

I’ve got a TF headed steel crank 400 going together to put in my roadrunner with the twin 76s. It’s making 1200+ whp now with the hemi. We’ll see how the wedge combo does.

1200 with gen III? Or II

This Volare runs a Gen 3 Hemi. Been low 5's in the 1/8

We've run well over 800 hp with a stock 360 block.
Doug

View attachment 1363283

I have no experience with 360 block. The weakness of the 400 and 440 is the main web area, shows up in the 750 and above HP range/ couple hundred passes. 230 block may last a little longer.

Did you replace your Volare Gen III hemi crank/rods/ pistons? Is it turbocharged, and how much boost?

Since I been hearing mixed things with about power levels. Has anyone had any experience with Gen III hemi block strength? They’re cross-bolted like the Gen II hemis and they seem to be pretty beefy. I really would rather keep it old school but it may be a temporary thing until I can afford an aftermarket block.

Thanks for all the extremely useful information so far!

Here's your Gen III stock bottom end with one turbo:

Here's your Gen III stock bottom end with one turbo:

That’s super impressive, I wonder how it would hold up to that kind of power street driven. I think I have either decided on doing the gen 3 or just getting an aftermarket block to build over the next year or so. That being said if I go aftermarket block, what are some good options? I’d preferably want something aluminum if I’m already spending that much and I’ve heard Indy still does them but is there any other good options I should know of? (400, 440, gen2)

Thanks guys!

I have no experience with 360 block. The weakness of the 400 and 440 is the main web area, shows up in the 750 and above HP range/ couple hundred passes. 230 block may last a little longer.

Did you replace your Volare Gen III hemi crank/rods/ pistons? Is it turbocharged, and how much boost?
This Volare isn't mine. It's owned by Paul Baker out of Ohio. It is a stock gen 3 block.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back