• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bought a Holley Street Demon Carburetor

Auggie56

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:14 PM
Reaction score
Now comes the question of brackets to hook up the throttle and TV linkages. Any suggestions?

I would see if you can return the carb & get your money back...or swap for an Edel carb....

Show us some pictures of it. Is it the one that looks like a Holley or the one that looks like a box?

I run an old "Speed Demon" 650 vacuum secondary on my 440 and it works great. It's the one that looks like a Holley. I have Edelbrock and Carter carbs even Holleys, as well that I run on other trucks and cars. They are all good if you get them tuned in. Usually takes a long time because you have to drive them for a week or two to really realize the changes that you made.

When I was wrenching in the seventies I got turned off those classic Holleys because of the gasket shrinkage between the metering block and the throttle body. Which is the reason why I decided on this design. And yes I should have bought the Edelbrock, as its design is the same as the seventies Carter four-barrel, one on Chryslers we had very few problems with.

Yeah, always lurking, trying to prevent someone making a mistake...

I've got a virtually new 850 dp holley that is so glued together by those damned brown gaskets, I literally can't get it apart to clean/rebuild it. No place to pry on the bowls, and a dead blow hammer won't even knock them off. Can't get the main body separated from the throttle plate either!

Last edited:
I'm giving @R413 the credit for this one, since he just suggested it in another thread. Should be the one you are looking for. Similar looking to the one Edelbrock sells for their carbs.

CARBURETOR THROTTLE LEVER EXTENSION
He’ll have to get this too, Holley’s proud of it.

IMG_7791.jpeg

I've got a virtually new 850 dp holley that is so glued together by those damned brown gaskets, I literally can't get it apart to clean/rebuild it. No place to pry on the bowls, and a dead blow hammer won't even knock them off. Can't get the main body separated from the throttle plate either!
What I do in that situation is place the carb on a block of wood, and rap the float adjuster screw with a brass hammer.
Sometimes it can take a fairly serious hit.
I wouldn’t expect a plastic hammer to get it done.

Basically you’ll likely be ripping the gaskets in half to get it apart.

Once you get rid of the " ancient gaskets", you get rid of the " ancient gasket problem".
Not alot to it.

What I do in that situation is place the carb on a block of wood, and rap the float adjuster screw with a brass hammer.
Sometimes it can take a fairly serious hit.
I wouldn’t expect a plastic hammer to get it done.

Basically you’ll likely be ripping the gaskets in half to get it apart.
I assumed that. I just find it really hard to smack a carburetor with a hammer. I bolted It to the intake on my engine so it wouldn't move when I whacked it..... and I still couldn't get it apart.
Damn, I hate those brown gaskets! Then, even if I'm successful at tearing them up enough to get it apart, then I've got to figure out how to get the torn-up gasket off of the carb part. Damn, I hate those brown gaskets!

Congrats on a awesome carb, I have done some write-ups on it.
It got some weak points but when you have ironed those out it is great.

Auto Transport Service
Back