• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake Conversion?

Thanks everyone I don't think I have enough vacuum to run a power booster so I should be okay with a manual in a 15/16 bore that's at least what everyone here is saying what a great website this is

Agree with above. Dr diff is the person you want to deal with.
Agreed 100%. All I'm going to say is this. I bought a front disc brake conversion from a well known vender. It was reasonably priced and that affected my decision.
After the installation was done the car wouldn't stop for ****. I bleed the brakes I can't remember how many times. I should have picked up the problem but getting senile, I didn't. Calling the tech service from the vender got me a lecture on brake bedding and how that had to be the problem. The reasons given were ridiculous and I suspect I was talking to someone who was reading out of a manual and had no real knowledge of brake systems. He told me there was no reason the front disc conversion if installed properly should not be working correctly.
I bought a kit to check the brake pressure at the bleeders which consisted of a bunch of adapters that screw into the bleeder and a gage. I found out I did not have enough pressure at the calipers. But why? Again the vender was no help. It was then I went to Cass at Dr Diff. I went to a dual diaphragm booster and then a 15/16 bore master cylinder. I then had the correct pressure at the calipers and the car stoped properly.
Don't wait till your cruising in your car at 50-60 mph and a deer jumps out in front of you to find out exactly how well your car stops

I have a '63 Plymouth and went with an SSBC kit a few years ago. My car didn't have power brakes and added this too. If I had to do over, not sure I'd settle on this kit again. There were several fitting issues and a few parts I thought were for crap. A buddy ended up machining a new eye bolt as the one in the kit bent while doing some tests. The brake pedal initially was so high I think I could reach it easier with my hand than my foot. This required redoing the threaded rod. 15" wheels were necessary but no issue as I went with those as part of the resto anyway. There was a large gap where the booster rod entered the firewall so another machining job to make a plate with a seat for the boot was done. I had recurring problems with the brake pedal seeping down, like a loss of vacuum though vacuum checks indicated there was ample vacuum and the booster seemed to check ok. Every so often the pedal will sink after initial start up and brake lights will stay on then return to good function. I had a similar irritating experience calling the tech people for help; seemed liked they knew nothing more than I did or were just too bothered to chat with me. Other checks I did included re-bleeding, checking the P-valve, and gap btw the booster and master. To the point where I'm thinking the booster could be defective...a guess.

Auto Transport Service
Back