• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake Master manual to power

Bonehead70GeTeX

Local time
2:27 PM
Reaction score
Hi all
I’m working on 1970 gtx , redoing front end and brakes , I’m going with disc on all four , my car was a 4 wheel drum manual brakes
My dilemma is power booster, looks like two different types , one stands off fire wall , the other has a mounting plate and linkage, I really just wanting something that works and fits , can I get some input on some of y’all that’s done this conversion?

8D7F6AE9-038D-417C-A709-6E94F982A35D.png

C3C14B23-D7FD-4E08-8538-8E9082C404B6.png

I have a 70 Road Runner. It had manual drum brakes and I converted it to power front disc brakes.

The kit I received had the booster pictured in your second picture. But I didn't like that style - I preferred the type that is in your first picture. So that is what I installed and it works great. Bottom line is I think you can use either - it's a matter of personal preference.

Here are a couple of shots of my engine compartment during restoration in case they are helpful to reference.
IMG_3689.JPG

IMG_4670.JPG

IMG_5115.JPG

I have a 70 Road Runner. It had manual drum brakes and I converted it to power front disc brakes.

The kit I received had the booster pictured in your second picture. But I didn't like that style - I preferred the type that is in your first picture. So that is what I installed and it works great. Bottom line is I think you can use either - it's a matter of personal preference.

Here are a couple of shots of my engine compartment during restoration in case they are helpful to reference.
Looks good
Pictures are a big help thanks , I’m just wondering room and placement ,, looks like yours tucked right in there ,
Was it much trouble to install to convert ?

Looks good
Pictures are a big help thanks , I’m just wondering room and placement ,, looks like yours tucked right in there ,
Was it much trouble to install to convert ?
It was really pretty easy to install. This is essentially a factory type setup, so it fits and works well. I had no issues with space; it fit right in nicely. Since I converted to a disc/ drum setup, I had to spend some time getting the proportioning valve set right so the brakes apply properly. That just took a few test "panic stops", but really wasn't hard either.

The Mopar front drum brakes are quite large, and I really didn't have any issues stopping with it before I restored the car. But in my case, I wanted to avoid potential brake fade during long trips where I might need a lot of braking. I am pleased with how this setup works and I can stop on a dime. I would do it again.

Thanks for the info Hawkrod
My brakes haven’t never worked right ,

I live close to mountains, that’s where I go for a afternoon ride , drum brakes on mountain not ideal,

FYI the cantilever mounted booster and master cylinder decrease exhaust manifold/header heat soak degrading the brakes.

View attachment 1476904

View attachment 1476905

View attachment 1476906
How did you get the old manual plate off? I can’t even see the nuts behind the dash for the studs.

How did you get the old manual plate off? I can’t even see the nuts behind the dash for the studs.
They are there, you have to reach up higher than you think. Below is the plate showing the placement of the studs. Hopefully that helps...
20230724_074853.jpg

20230724_074924.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back