Brake pedal not returning

Marcus

Local time
6:09 AM
Reaction score
When I release the brake the pedal does not return all the way and the brake light stays on. Why does this happen and what is the solution? I added some brake fluid and the pedal returned more than it was but the light is still on.

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
Rusted components under the dash.
I have a 72 Duster....California car that sat for years with the windows open. Surface rust collected on every unpainted surface. The clutch and brake pedals and linkages were coated in rust scale. I replaced the "cage" with a cleaner one from another car and everything worked fine after that.
Beforehand, the clutch would stick to the floor despite installing a different engine and new clutch parts. I was able to loosen up the brake pedal some but not enough to work normally.
Another possibility is a master cylinder with a rusty bore or piston.

The light will stay on if the switch isn’t adjusted right or if the pedal does not retract fully.

Last edited:

steve340

Local time
1:09 AM
Reaction score
If the brake warning light is on you may have a fault in the brake system somewhere.

ykf7b0

Local time
8:09 AM
Reaction score
A good brake bleeding is where I would start.

MIKESPOLARA

Local time
Reaction score
When I release the brake the pedal does not return all the way and the brake light stays on. Why does this happen and what is the solution? I added some brake fluid and the pedal returned more than it was but the light is still on.

Do you have an aftermarket booster?

Marcus

Local time
Reaction score
Rusted components under the dash.
I have a 72 Duster....California car that sat for years with the windows open. Surface rust collected on every unpainted surface. The clutch and brake pedals and linkages were coated in rust scale. I replaced the "cage" with a cleaner one from another car and everything worked fine after that.
Beforehand, the clutch would stick to the floor despite installing a different engine and new clutch parts. I was able to loosen up the brake pedal some but not enough to work normally.
Another possibility is a master cylinder with a rusty bore or piston.

The light will stay on if the switch isn’t adjusted right or if the pedal does not retract fully.
Interesting I'll have to check that. Thanks

Outlawd

Local time
8:09 AM
Reaction score
I got same problem on my Charger, it has power drums all new wheel cylinders and master but factory booster. The brakes work great but pedal don't return. I guess I will crawl under the dash later and check inside components.