• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake pedal not returning

Marcus

Local time
6:43 AM
Reaction score
When I release the brake the pedal does not return all the way and the brake light stays on. Why does this happen and what is the solution? I added some brake fluid and the pedal returned more than it was but the light is still on.

Rusted components under the dash.
I have a 72 Duster....California car that sat for years with the windows open. Surface rust collected on every unpainted surface. The clutch and brake pedals and linkages were coated in rust scale. I replaced the "cage" with a cleaner one from another car and everything worked fine after that.
Beforehand, the clutch would stick to the floor despite installing a different engine and new clutch parts. I was able to loosen up the brake pedal some but not enough to work normally.
Another possibility is a master cylinder with a rusty bore or piston.

The light will stay on if the switch isn’t adjusted right or if the pedal does not retract fully.

Last edited:
If the brake warning light is on you may have a fault in the brake system somewhere.

A good brake bleeding is where I would start.

When I release the brake the pedal does not return all the way and the brake light stays on. Why does this happen and what is the solution? I added some brake fluid and the pedal returned more than it was but the light is still on.

Do you have an aftermarket booster?

Rusted components under the dash.
I have a 72 Duster....California car that sat for years with the windows open. Surface rust collected on every unpainted surface. The clutch and brake pedals and linkages were coated in rust scale. I replaced the "cage" with a cleaner one from another car and everything worked fine after that.
Beforehand, the clutch would stick to the floor despite installing a different engine and new clutch parts. I was able to loosen up the brake pedal some but not enough to work normally.
Another possibility is a master cylinder with a rusty bore or piston.

The light will stay on if the switch isn’t adjusted right or if the pedal does not retract fully.
Interesting I'll have to check that. Thanks

I got same problem on my Charger, it has power drums all new wheel cylinders and master but factory booster. The brakes work great but pedal don't return. I guess I will crawl under the dash later and check inside components.

Auto Transport Service
Back