• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brand New Hurst 4 speed shifter problem 66 coronet

Everything on this car is a nightmare.

• Calm down and keep struggling thru the never-ending nightmare

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Light it on fire and push this Mother F*cking POS off a cliff

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Evil Bird

Local time
9:18 AM
Reaction score
Where can I get pictures of how the Hurst shift rods should fit on a 66 Coronet. Reverse interfers with a bolt on the trans and it also hits another shift rod so it won't go into reverse. Also does it require the shifter spacer plate? I'm about done with this car and I don't mean almost complete.

I didn’t vote because I didn’t see the option that I felt was necessary. If you have the correct parts and install them correctly they should work as designed just relax and be patient work through it you’ll get it sorted out.
which hurst shift mechanism are you using? The correct one only requires the adapter plater that bolts the to the tail shaft housing. Here’s a pic of the rods hopefully you can see them well enough.the reverse rod is 1970 the
66’ rod is bent different but the connections will be the same.

B88DDD5E-1629-4323-8DF0-EA37952DC2CE.jpeg

Last edited:
A '66 came with an Inland shifter.. not a Hurst. Possibly part of the fitment problem..
1966plymouthsathp2 154.jpg

Dadsbee has it right so to use a hurst shifter your gonna need the hurst shifter plate on the tail shaft and rods and possibly shift levers for a 68-69 b body to make that shifter work correctly. I’m not sure if the shift levers are different between the inland and hurst shifter setups.

Just face the fact you're not a MOPAR mechanic and go back to working on crap.

When I installed a 70 model tranny, shifter and rods from an E body into my 73 b body I had quite a few issues. Brewers web site provided much info as to what I needed and Dan himself was very helpful in quickly isolating my problems and providing me with the solution. I highly recommend him when you cannot figure out whats needed.

Save your sanity go to mymopar.com and download a service manual. You may want a later year 68/69. Inland shifter in 66 but same way to hook them up.

Update. The Hurst line drawing was not very detailed and stupidly I copied what was on the old shifting linkage (reverse didn't work). So the PO had reverse & 1st/3rd shift rods switched. After studying the drawing with some better glasses, I switched the rods and it now shifts perfectly!

So the moral of the story is don't be an idiot like me and try to fix something by doing the same thing that didn't work in the first place!

Auto Transport Service
Back