• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Broken torsion bar

Mackman

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:34 AM
Reaction score
How many of you have had a torsion bar break. I had a 73 Satellite in the late 70’s. Parked on a job site in the morning, and when I got back in the car to drive home, noticed something wrong . Torsion bar broke sitting still.

Dad bought a brand new 67 Coronet 440 with a 383 that broke a torsion bar while parked in the drive way. The 5/50 warranty covered it and the left rear quarter glass that somehow broke at a later time. Strong running car at the time.

How many of you have had a torsion bar break. I had a 73 Satellite in the late 70’s. Parked on a job site in the morning, and when I got back in the car to drive home, noticed something wrong . Torsion bar broke sitting still.
In the late 60's, I hit a pot hole that spun my car around on the left front wheel. It broke the American Torque Thrust wheel, broke the steering sector, bent the lower control arm, and broke the torsion bar on the left side. Those were the days, my front-end guy put it all back in tip top shape for $280.

In the late 60's, I hit a pot hole that spun my car around on the left front wheel. It broke the American Torque Thrust wheel, broke the steering sector, bent the lower control arm, and broke the torsion bar on the left side. Those were the days, my front-end guy put it all back in tip top shape for $280.
$280 was a lot of money back then...

69 my dads 300K vert, sitting in the driveway loud bang & the RF corner dropped.... Which lead to him replacing both torsion bars & all four ball joints so it wouldn't break on the road..
Soon after that it was driven from California to New Jersey, loaded on a ship & picked up in Rota Spain... He didn't want us having car troubles in Europe..

I’ve never broken one.
From 1996-99 I made a couple of feature videos with car stunts using A body cars. I did off road driving, crashes and JUMPS. One 74 Dart Sport went almost 85 feet and got over 10 feet in the air. I bent frame rails, k members, control arms but never broke a torsion bar. Another car.. a 75 Dart 4 door got jumped 4 times. That car donated its disc brake spindles to this car:

1E7C6A21-A413-41A8-89CC-50E505C116CB.jpeg

I have never had trouble with aligning the car.
Still… over 10 jumps with two Darts, countless tough trails with a 73 Duster and no broken torsion bars.

$280 was a lot of money back then...

69 my dads 300K vert, sitting in the driveway loud bang & the RF corner dropped.... Which lead to him replacing both torsion bars & all four ball joints so it wouldn't break on the road..
Soon after that it was driven from California to New Jersey, loaded on a ship & picked up in Rota Spain... He didn't want us having car troubles in Europe..
Yep, I think I was making $70 a week at the time.

I need to upload them to Rumble or YouTube.

How many of you have had a torsion bar break.

It's one of those things one never forgets if you're right there when it happens.
Had the passenger side let go on my '66 Charger way back. Use to hang out in the fast-food lots BS'n cars some nights. A couple friends and I were leaning against the front end when it sounded like a M-80 went off and the car dropped like a rock. Scared the hell out of us. First thought was the tire blew out. My friend Jerry was closest to it and said it wasn't the tire. He laid on the pavement reached under the car, discovering the bar had broken about 5 inches out from the control arm.
On the 7 or 8 mile ride home, I found left turns were no problem. Right turns need to be really wide.

I’ve never broken one.
From 1996-99 I made a couple of feature videos with car stunts using A body cars. I did off road driving, crashes and JUMPS. One 74 Dart Sport went almost 85 feet and got over 10 feet in the air. I bent frame rails, k members, control arms but never broke a torsion bar. Another car.. a 75 Dart 4 door got jumped 4 times. That car donated its disc brake spindles to this car:

View attachment 1502347

I have never had trouble with aligning the car.
Still… over 10 jumps with two Darts, countless tough trails with a 73 Duster and no broken torsion bars.
I have never broken a torsion bar....but I did jump a Hillman Imp several times ....up to 3 metres off the ground. Impressive at the time. :lol:

Rear mounted engine makes for relatively level flight.

I have never broken a torsion bar....but I did jump a Hillman Imp several times ....up to 3 metres off the ground. Impressive at the time. :lol:

Rear mounted engine makes for relatively level flight.
What's impressive is the fact you still have a spine... It should have been crushed upon landing....

Nothing a few beers wouldn't remedy... "Not that I would know about such things.."

I had one snap. On my 70 charger r/t se. Back in the early 80's easy and cheap fix back then as a had a few parts cars back then. It broke off just aft of the hex on the driver's side.

I had one break on a 58 Fury with about 100,000 miles around 1966. I bought one from a junk yard and replaced it. I was in the Service at the time so I couldn't afford new.

Never had one break in a Mopar, but back when Kenworth trucks had torsion bar suspensions, I had one break while hauling a load back from the west coast to Iowa. Luckily it was on the driver's side, so with the load tilting to the "high side" of the road, I was able to limp it in.

Auto Transport Service
Back