• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bucket seat Swap

Builderguy

Builderguy
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:54 PM
Reaction score
I have restored a 1973 Roadrunner to as close to original as I can get. I have a second 1973 Roadrunner (340 4-speed Sure grip) that was ordered with a bench seat. Some PO had swapped out the bench for buckets that didn't fit right and were from an earlier Roadrunner.
I hunted down the correct bench seat so I could put the car back to original. I later discovered that I sold the buckets way way way too cheap. Ya don't know what ya don't know and I did not need them, but I digress. I have decided to go with bucket seats on this build since I will making several other modifications (mostly to the suspension and engine) that will take it far from "stock". Heck, may even go with a center console if I can use the existing shifter. I have a set of 1977 Cordoba buckets that really don't look too much different than the 1973 Roadrunner buckets. The mounting brackets are different but I can fab those without too much trouble. My question is, will I be able to just put 1973 RR seat covers over the 1977 Cordoba seat frames. Anyone ever try this or know if it will work?

1973 Roadrunner

R.e638feb46f5856c02ffad692522aebf6.jpeg

1977 Cordoba

R.aad1ba5d937386383cf793ea39260d05.jpeg

Yes, the basic seats are the same. Your going to have to manipulate the covers and the foam but they will fit.

Good to know, I was thinking about these covers and foams from Legendary:

AA72CRX0010100.jpg
MF71CRXSET-2.jpg
AA72CRX0040100.jpg

About $1200 worth, but it might just be the way to go.

Still have to figure out if the stock shifter will work, being that is was for a bench seat, it might have a bigger offset to allow for the bench being moved forward.

I just put those on my late 71. They should work.
20211212_170806.jpg
Just a heads up...Legendary has been backed up to a 36 week wait minimum! I got lucky and found mine on ebay through a Mopar dealer. Was his last set. Said not expecting another shipment til June of 22

I was looking a little closer at this whole swap idea. Personally I like the buckets better but it looks like the floor hump is much further back on a bucket seat car than it is on a bench seat version by several inches. In addition the shifter on the bucket seat car is much straighter. I am not afraid of doing any type of metal work but; adding a new hump, getting a different style shifter, and getting the proper linkage looks like a great big pile of money. I understand the bucket seat car may draw out more money but it just might be a wash after all the work that is needed. IDK maybe I should just keep the car original looking and work on the engine internals to give it more power.

R.a386fea004980f10ddf82228868f5faf.jpeg
R.5d0dfe64157ac53cb55d2f98e780b08a.jpeg

Add a buddy seat with the buckets. That used the bench shifter plus you get a nice armrest to go with the pistol grip. I am doing that on my 71.

Add a buddy seat with the buckets. That used the bench shifter plus you get a nice armrest to go with the pistol grip. I am doing that on my 71.

Thanks, I did not know about that option. That just might be the ticket.

Forgott to say that! LOL... yes, buddy seat manual cars got the shifter on same location than bench cars

Auto Transport Service
Back