• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Built 440 belvedere2

Belvederblue

Local time
12:10 PM
Reaction score
Just put belvedere up for the season. My buddy Chris wants to put a nitrous system on his 440. Over the winter. Nitrous? Or superchared? Let me no what u think

Nitrous is easier/cheaper and more suited for a street car in my opinion. Does he have forged pistons?

Most engines aren't originally built to take a big hit of nitrous, or blower pressures.

It's more complicated than having forged pistons.
True, but for small nitrous shots (maybe 100hp), you might be OK with just stock pistons. "Back in the day" I was always told nitrous requires forged pistons (preferably 2618 aluminum).

Larger shots may require timing retards, special tuning, dedicated fuel system, o-ringed heads or head gaskets, larger exhaust valves, window switches, WOT switches, etc.

Good rods, crank.......
Personal opinion. If you're not gonna hit it hard, find other ways to make power. Power adders should equal big power.

I like to make HP the old fashioned way. No nitrous, no blower or turbo charger. Do it with cam, carburetors or fuel injection and cubic inches. A lighter car helps too. Note the 6.1 bored and stroked to 426 inches, fast fuel injection and monster throttle body. Also no heavy car = 9.5 quarters.
20181121_144753.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back