• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bulkhead connector terminal size

Charger Fan

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:36 AM
Reaction score
Need to replace the bulkhead connector on my '73 Charger and will be replacing the female terminals in the connector at each position. Does anyone one know where I can find the gauge wire for each position on the bulkhead connector? Want to make sure I buy the correct gauge wire female spade terminal size. Haven't separated the bulkhead connector from the fuse block yet. Was hoping to have all the parts on hand before I start.

Buy them to accept 18ga wire and you can't go wrong.

Need to replace the bulkhead connector on my '73 Charger and will be replacing the female terminals in the connector at each position. Does anyone one know where I can find the gauge wire for each position on the bulkhead connector? Want to make sure I buy the correct gauge wire female spade terminal size. Haven't separated the bulkhead connector from the fuse block yet. Was hoping to have all the parts on hand before I start.
Wiring section of your repair manual

When I replaced the BH in my ride sometime after installing a new engine harness, was pleasantly surprised to find the wiring/connectors in nice condition behind the firewall. My BH was heat-damaged from the Amp gauge connection. Had installed electronic ignition some years before with a higher-amp alternator and suspect resulting damage occurred, not sure, but glad no further damage or fire. A fellow member coached me on bypassing the BH and have it wired, but not connected to the gauge as yet. Waiting for another reason to pull the cluster after having it re-chromed.

Earlier, as for the tiny fuse-block, found some connections touching each other and corroded causing odd electrical problems. Ma Mopar made them small back when. Figure over the years before I had the car, stereo wiring and some other stuff wired may have caused some of this. Removed all of it installing a retro-radio. Removed the wires from the block making new connectors for them and shrink-wrapped those as they sit so close to each other as it is. Had thought of taking the next step with a new fuse-block; but everything was working fine leaving it be.

Bulkhead 1.jpg

Bulkhead 2.jpg

Bulkhead 3.jpg

12 wires for the ones coming out from ign switch.

Rest varies between 14 and 18. Terminals covers a rate of gauges thought so you will need just 2 or 3 sizes

Just get a stock of each size in case the crimping job goes wrong and need to reinstall another.

Get them at electrical suppliers, not from auto restoring shops. They sell bulks in really good prizes.

And, honestly I bet most of terminals won’t need to be replaced really. After a grease and dust clean with a degreaser and brush, dip them on a vinegar and salt solution for 3 or 4 hours, then on baking soda to neutralize acids and the terminals will come on shine again. Maybe some more orangish color finish thought.

Nothing like the factory crimping, so if they are nice, I would keep them like they are just cleaning.

Aside the original terminals are really Packard 58 and they are made of unobtainium. The Packard 56 are a good replacement on Mopar bulkhead cavities but nothing like the originals.

Last edited:
You can buy at least some Packard 58 terminals through Mouser Electronics. Note that Packard 58 is only for the female terminals, the male terminals were never updated and Packard 56 male were still used. Mouser lists the female terminals as Aptiv (formerly Delphi, which I think was the original manufacturer) P/N 02965470-L, for 14 AWG through 17 AWG wire. They list the male terminals as Aptiv 12010106, also for 14 AWG through 17 AWG. The crimp tool for these is Aptiv 06285847. It is a bit fiddly to use, but makes nice crimps (they look a lot like the factory ones) once you get used to it. I think Mouser may have Packard 58 terminals for other wire sizes, but I didn't look into it as I was just interested in using 16 AWG wire. The ones I have listed here were in stock and available in quantity 1. Cheers!

Auto Transport Service
Back