• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bump starter hook up

JG1966

Local time
4:36 AM
Reaction score
I'm a relative newbie, so forgive this question. When I use a push button remote bump starter, where do I hook the two alligator clips? The instructions are a bit fuzzy.
One goes to positive battery (or maybe the large battery post on the starter relay) and the other goes to the ignition post or the solenoid post? I've never used one and don't want to fry anything.
Also, should the ignition key be on -- or off -- or does it matter? Car has a 727 if that matters.
I will pull and ground coil wire, so car doesn't actually start (I'll be underneath car looking at starter trying to see exactly what's going on with it).
Thank you.
90-StarterSolenoid.jpg

Last edited:
on the starter relay connect one to the big battery post and one to the soleniod post so it will get power and your remote starter will work. The key should be off.

Auto Transport Service
Back